Dell Monitor Sale - Crazy! at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Go Go Godzilla
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ USA
Posts: 2,739
Images: 15
Dell Monitor Sale - Crazy!

Dell is having a sale on LCD monitors that just started today.

Apple and Dell use the exact same LCD display unit for both the 23" and 30" inch models: Apple is selling their 23" inch for $899, Dell is now selling their 24" for $379!! Apple wants $1799 for their 30" - the Dell is only $1199!!

Now unless you just can't bear to live without the flat-finish aluminum casing there's absolutely no reason to pay an extra $600 to get the exact LCD module with the same specs. (Note: Apple and Dell report the contrast ratio differently but they are in fact the same LCD module).

I have no idea how long this sale will last but if you need a monitor get a Dell now!
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rego Park , NYC
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Dell is having a sale on LCD monitors that just started today.

Now unless you just can't bear to live without the flat-finish aluminum casing there's absolutely no reason to pay an extra $600 to get the exact LCD module with the same specs. (Note: Apple and Dell report the contrast ratio differently but they are in fact the same LCD module).
I think one has to be careful here...the four digit "Ultra Sharp" series ones are comparable to the Apple ones. The 3 digit ones are not the same as the Apple one.

Still...great prices!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 786
Hi Robert.

You've TOTALLY gotten my attention with your post. I've got to make some computer purchases next week and the 23" Cinema Display was out of the question (A$1,399) but I just checked the local Dell site and it has the "Dell E248WFP Entry 24" WideScreen Flat Panel Monitor" for A$599 (only about 40% of the Apple price). That brings it into my calculations!

But I want to make sure that I'm talking about the same model as you are.

I assume that the "Apple-equivalent" model you're referring to is the 24" Dell E248WFP ("TrueColor with 92% color gamut") and NOT the 24" Dell 2408WFP UltraSharp ("TrueColor with 110% color gamut"). Correct?

Also, I'll be getting an Intel iMac (which I know can handle the 20" and 23" Apple Displays using a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, but not the 30"). Do you happen to know if the Dell 24" works okay with an Intel iMac? (I'm really hoping its [Dell 24"]properties are closer to the 23" than the 30" and thus compatible with the iMac!)

Thanks, Robert.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ USA
Posts: 2,739
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu View Post
I think one has to be careful here...the four digit "Ultra Sharp" series ones are comparable to the Apple ones. The 3 digit ones are not the same as the Apple one.

Still...great prices!
Actually that's incorrect, John. The "ultra sharp" models are a completely different LCD panel and have a much higher contrast ratio than the Apple.

The Apple listed contrast ratio for the 20-30" inch models is 700:1 - the same Dell monitors that I'm referring to are listed at 1000:1 (Dell and Apple use different methods for listing contrast on the same panel). The "Ultra Sharp" models are 3000:1 and are *not* the panels being used by Apple.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ USA
Posts: 2,739
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knaggs View Post
Hi Robert.

You've TOTALLY gotten my attention with your post. I've got to make some computer purchases next week and the 23" Cinema Display was out of the question (A$1,399) but I just checked the local Dell site and it has the "Dell E248WFP Entry 24" WideScreen Flat Panel Monitor" for A$599 (only about 40% of the Apple price). That brings it into my calculations!

But I want to make sure that I'm talking about the same model as you are.

I assume that the "Apple-equivalent" model you're referring to is the 24" Dell E248WFP ("TrueColor with 92% color gamut") and NOT the 24" Dell 2408WFP UltraSharp ("TrueColor with 110% color gamut"). Correct?

Also, I'll be getting an Intel iMac (which I know can handle the 20" and 23" Apple Displays using a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, but not the 30"). Do you happen to know if the Dell 24" works okay with an Intel iMac? (I'm really hoping its [Dell 24"]properties are closer to the 23" than the 30" and thus compatible with the iMac!)

Thanks, Robert.
There's nothing special about Intel-Macs when it comes to the DVI port on the video card, it's still the same dual-link industry standard. The only difference is the PCI slot itself, the latest Mac Pro's are PCI Express 2.0.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #6
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
There's nothing special about Intel-Macs when it comes to the DVI port on the video card, it's still the same dual-link industry standard. The only difference is the PCI slot itself, the latest Mac Pro's are PCI Express 2.0.
I think he meant that the iMac can't drive a 30" display at full resolution.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto ON Canada
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu View Post
...the four digit "Ultra Sharp" series ones are comparable to the Apple ones. The 3 digit ones are not the same as the Apple one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Actually that's incorrect, John. The "ultra sharp" models are a completely different LCD panel and have a much higher contrast ratio than the Apple.

... The "Ultra Sharp" models are 3000:1 and are *not* the panels being used by Apple.
I have no idea who is right, but if anyone can cite/point to some sources that would be helpful.
__________________
Mike Barber
"I'm laughing to stop myself from screaming."
Mike Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Utrecht, NL | Europe 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 612
Just to add to the confusion: The LCD panel used is not the only critical component in a display, albeit the most visible.

The backlight and the electronnics are very important as to how this display looks and reacts to input.

Dell displays have more controls, but this is not nessesarily a good thing. And not to knock Dell, but I found their quality varies greatly between products and even within series of the same product. But you can't beat them for price a lot of the time...

To offset that somewhat: Dell service is pretty good, wheras Apple's service is not only expensive but pretty crap on top (here in Europe at least).

So in short: The Dell and Apple displays are two different products, never mind the components they share. Buy the one that fits your needs best!

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Go Go Godzilla
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ USA
Posts: 2,739
Images: 15
Apple specs:

http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

Dell specs:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/c...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Notice that the resolution between standards and "ultra sharp" (US) are the same however the contrast ratio jumps from 1000:1, to 3000:1 for the US models. Again, although Dell and Apple are using the same visual components in these monitors they are listing the contrast specs differently, either due to differing testing philosophies or, marketing hype, but they are the same panel. Apple does not use any LCD panels that have a listed contrast ratio greater than 700:1.

In our studio we need a monitor that matches our main 30" ACD in response, so we've selected the non-US model. From experience I know that if we selected the US model it would not match the ACD.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rego Park , NYC
Posts: 649
I have two Dell widescreen 20" monitors--- an older Ultrasharp 2005FPW and a newer E207WFP. The latter was cheap... around $250 or so.

But there is a huge difference in terms of picture quality.
The 2005FPW has solid blacks, while the 207 has kind of gray blacks.

The E207WFP is what I guess they call a "TN" panel. I was disappointed when I bought the E207WFP sight unseen, thinking wrongly it was by just as good as the 2005FPW but with less inputs.

I can't explain it, but wish I had seen it first hand before getting the three digit series.

Read this thread from a couple weeks back:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=Dell+display
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 157
I have a BenQ fpw24z. It's a 24" 1920x1200 and I think its selling for around $750 right now. This monitor is outstanding! Looks sleek and the picture is amazing. BenQ has great customer service and support as well - My friend's dog knocked mine over and broke it and I sent it back to BenQ under their 3 yr warranty and they fixed it at no charge with no questions asked. Toss it on a c-stand and you have an outstanding field monitor - though not very portable :)
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #12
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Posts: 1,538
To those interested in this thread when originally posted,

you might find this interesting.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/12/s...chnical-issue/

I don't know if this is one of the Dell 30" displays being mentioned as comparable to the ACD, but it's clearly true that the electronics are specific to the manufacturer - not just the LCD maker.

FWIW
Bill Davis is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:47 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network