Undocumented "feature" in FCP 6.0.3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,637
Undocumented "feature" in FCP 6.0.3

I ran the "Pro Applications Update 2008-01" last night (which updates to FCP 6.0.3) and now I actually hear preview audio via the built-in speakers in log & capture and during the actual capture of HDV.
This option was never available before when capturing HDV and unfortunately doesn't have the setting to turn it off the way you can in the normal log & capture settings.
The only solution if you don't want to hear sound when capturing HDV is to mute your system speakers.

Anyone else notice this?

At least there are no more issues with "the project is unreadable or too new for this version of Final Cut Pro."

Release Notes
__________________
Tim Dashwood
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 92
Hi Tim,

I ran the update last night too. I haven't captured any HDV material yet, but that's great news to hear (literally).

Before I processed the update, I checked the full release notes for all of the applications at: http://www.apple.com/support/release...Studio_2.0_rn/

I found something interesting in the notes - I started a thread under the Digital Video Industry News Forum because I thought it might imply support to a new yet-to-be-released camera - http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=119098

Maybe you can combine the posts here.

What do you think "HDV 1.4 codec with 4:2:2 support for Final Cut" means?

-Geoff

Last edited by Geoff Murillo; April 11th, 2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Providing link
Geoff Murillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Murillo View Post
What do you think "HDV 1.4 codec with 4:2:2 support for Final Cut" means?
I don't know but I'll make sure to find out at the NAB FCPUG Supermeet. Apple will be at the Supermeet (but no booth at NAB this year.)
__________________
Tim Dashwood
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 92
Tim,

I can't wait to hear you findings. Have a fun time in Vegas.

-Geoff
Geoff Murillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Murillo View Post
Hi Tim,

What do you think "HDV 1.4 codec with 4:2:2 support for Final Cut" means?

-Geoff
This is likely referring to the 50 Mb/s 422 MPEG HD format developed by Sony for their new second generation XDCAM HD camera (PDW-F700). XDCAM HD's MPEG HD format is a direct permutation of the basic HDV codec.
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central, OH
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
At least there are no more issues with "the project is unreadable or too new for this version of Final Cut Pro."
The knowledgebase article for that note wasn't there. Can you confirm that they've fixed this? That would be great news IMO
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rocklin, California
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
I ran the "Pro Applications Update 2008-01" last night (which updates to FCP 6.0.3) and now I actually hear preview audio via the built-in speakers in log & capture and during the actual capture of HDV.
This option was never available before when capturing HDV and unfortunately doesn't have the setting to turn it off the way you can in the normal log & capture settings.
The only solution if you don't want to hear sound when capturing HDV is to mute your system speakers.

Anyone else notice this?

At least there are no more issues with "the project is unreadable or too new for this version of Final Cut Pro."

Release Notes
Tim so if I do the 6.0.3 download for final cut am I going to have any issues with current projects I am working on in final cut now or should I wait till I finish the stuff I am currently working on. Thanks Gary
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rocklin, California
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
I don't know but I'll make sure to find out at the NAB FCPUG Supermeet. Apple will be at the Supermeet (but no booth at NAB this year.)
Tim while your there talking with apple why dont you find out when the blue-ray burner is coming out along with a supported update for dvd studio pro. Thanks in advance Gary Williams
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
I ran the "Pro Applications Update 2008-01" last night (which updates to FCP 6.0.3) and now I actually hear preview audio via the built-in speakers in log & capture and during the actual capture of HDV.
This option was never available before when capturing HDV and unfortunately doesn't have the setting to turn it off the way you can in the normal log & capture settings.
The only solution if you don't want to hear sound when capturing HDV is to mute your system speakers.

Anyone else notice this?

At least there are no more issues with "the project is unreadable or too new for this version of Final Cut Pro."

Release Notes

Anyone find a solution ?
Dave Ambrose is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network