Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem with Burnt DVD in Home DVD player

Hi

I shot video footage with Sony PDX10 and edit with FCP and made dvd from G5. I don't have any problem with G5 or other current DVD player. However,old DVD player won't play or distorted pics/sound etc when it play.
I used memorex 16x DVD-R and Sony 16x DVD-R. same problem so far. any tips? Please help me/ THANKS.
Richard Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Park View Post
Hi

I shot video footage with Sony PDX10 and edit with FCP and made dvd from G5. I don't have any problem with G5 or other current DVD player. However,old DVD player won't play or distorted pics/sound etc when it play.
I used memorex 16x DVD-R and Sony 16x DVD-R. same problem so far. any tips? Please help me/ THANKS.
Whether you use iDVD or Compressor and/or DVD Studio Pro to encode your DVD will make a difference in the quality of the video. Burning your disc at a lower speed may also improve your compatibility issues.

Otherwise, there are many older DVD that either have trouble with or simply won't play DVD-Rs.
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #3
New Boot

I recently (yesterday!) had the same problem with a DVD I made for our Easter Program at Church. Out of about 30 DVD's that were taken home yesterday, 3 of them were returned because the customer complained of skipping or stalling. I tested them on every DVD player I had access to and they played fine. So, I went over to my neighbors house and I finally found a way to duplicate what the people were telling me. All I had to do is attempt to play the DVD in an older DVD Player.

The neighbors Player was about 6 years old. I did a little research and discovered that all 3 of the people who returned their DVD had Players that were at least 5 years old. But why would that matter I wondered? So I poked around the internet a bit and read several posts/articles pertaining to this issue. Evidently, older players were not made with our ever evolving technology in mind. So now the manufacturers make products such as "progressive scan" Players. These units have the ability to handle burned DVD's.

I know there are alot of people that read these boards that can give you an ultra tech answer to your question. Hopefully they will chime in.
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Use premium Taiyo-Yuden blanks. This should solve most problems. However, some older DVD players will never play DVD-Rs correctly. Some people have reported that burning DVDs at a slower speeds works but I never found this to help. It's also hard to get iDVD or DVDSP to do this. Toast is easy.
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

The problem of burned or "duplicated" DVD-R's has been the bane of home authored projects since it's inception.

The only way to get nearly 100% compatibility is to have your project sent out for *replication* which creates an industry standard ISO image that all players regardless of age will read properly.

Outside of that, and yes, Taiyo-Yuden, Ridata and Verbatim discs *seem* to have the greatest compatibility.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite