Why does my HDV footage look so crap when mastered to DVD? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 8th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #16
Regular Crew

XHA1 to DVD troubles

Ok can anyone help me? Im shooting with my XHA1 set in hd 16.9 I'm using Sony Direct dvd burner and if i use fire wire or composite out the TV stations keep telling me that my video is letter boxing when they play my dvd and yes letter boxing on my camera is off and Sony keeps telling me that the burning will burn the same size as what my camera is set to I'm beginning to Sony is full of it, how can I fix this.

HELP PLEASE!
Chas Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McGiffert View Post
"time to learn dvdsp I think"

Yes!

To use a XH-A1 and FCP and then iDVD seems
a touch counter-productive.

You will love DVDSP, jump in...

David
I could never get DVD Studio Pro to... well, to actually BURN a goddamn DVD!

For very simple projects, I use DVDFlick, which is open source; for more complex projects, DVD Architect seems to be the way to go.
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #18
Major Player

re

learn to master DVD studio
i used to use idvd but after basic tuturiols on youtube i mastered DVD studio, the quality is much much better than IDVD, just remeber to bump up the settings in the preference.

And its much much faster than IDVD
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I have to burn out in the field

I'm a news stringer and have to make dvd's out in the field so thats why i got sony dvd direct
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Chas: You say you're shooting in 16:9 in HD and burning an SD DVD and it's letterboxed? How else would it work? You're recording in 16:9. Therefore it's going to letterbox on 4:3. Unless you're looking for a 4:3 centre cut, in which case I would never expect a video appliance to do what you're asking OR if your discs are STILL letterboxing on 16:9 screens, in which case you are recording discs as "letterboxed" instead of "anamorphic".

More details please.
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Shaun I'm lost

[QUOTE=Shaun Roemich;1009109]Chas: You say you're shooting in 16:9 in HD and burning an SD DVD and it's letterboxed? How else would it work? You're recording in 16:9. Therefore it's going to letterbox on 4:3. Unless you're looking for a 4:3 centre cut, in which case I would never expect a video appliance to do what you're asking OR if your discs are STILL letterboxing on 16:9 screens, in which case you are recording discs as "letterboxed" instead of "anamorphic".

More details please.

Well I'm shooting in 16.9 burning using sony dvd direct vrd-mc 5 there book says to get 16.9 from my footage i need to set my camera tv type to 4.3 well my camera is an XHA1 there is no tv type setting. The TV stations use old style 4.3 square monitors does this help. oh and i tried to call you and on my end it says i cant reach you your not in the usa.any way did this info help

Last edited by Chas Briggs; February 9th, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #22
Regular Crew

If you've got the time learn how to use DVD Studio Pro along with Compressor, assuming you have access to both.

From FCP, export to Compressor using the Best Quality 90 Minute format template (only if you're amount of media total length is under 90 minutes). Then import that to DVD Studio Pro. It's shouldn't have to re compress it. Make sure your clip is set to 4:3, 16:9 Letterbox, 16:9 Pan-Scan, or 16:9 pan-scan/letterbox, whatever you're preference is.

It takes awhile to get to know it and to see how it reacts once it's in a DVD player, but the pay off is knowing how to use the software. I think it's worth it.
Dan Quintero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #23
Inner Circle

It sounds like you're wanting 16:9 anamorphic.

In order to do that, you need to find a menu in the camera that says something like "stretch" (sorry, I have no time on the new Canons but it HAS to be there somewhere) in reference to your downconvert options. When the video plays out to your recorder, it will be 4:3 aspect stretched vertically. This is normal for 16:9 anamorphic, which uses ALL 480 lines of vertical resolution and uses a pixel aspect ratio of 1.2 to get widescreen 16:9.

I ASSUME the broadcaster knows that you are sending them 16:9 and indeed WANTS 16:9 material. Otherwise, you're already doing it "right"
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #24
Regular Crew

down convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
It sounds like you're wanting 16:9 anamorphic.

In order to do that, you need to find a menu in the camera that says something like "stretch" (sorry, I have no time on the new Canons but it HAS to be there somewhere) in reference to your downconvert options. When the video plays out to your recorder, it will be 4:3 aspect stretched vertically. This is normal for 16:9 anamorphic, which uses ALL 480 lines of vertical resolution and uses a pixel aspect ratio of 1.2 to get widescreen 16:9.

I ASSUME the broadcaster knows that you are sending them 16:9 and indeed WANTS 16:9 material. Otherwise, you're already doing it "right"
no there is nothing just down convert with no options on size. there is letter box off or on i have it set to off. should i try it with it on.
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #25
Regular Crew

learning dvd pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Quintero View Post
If you've got the time learn how to use DVD Studio Pro along with Compressor, assuming you have access to both.

From FCP, export to Compressor using the Best Quality 90 Minute format template (only if you're amount of media total length is under 90 minutes). Then import that to DVD Studio Pro. It's shouldn't have to re compress it. Make sure your clip is set to 4:3, 16:9 Letterbox, 16:9 Pan-Scan, or 16:9 pan-scan/letterbox, whatever you're preference is.

It takes awhile to get to know it and to see how it reacts once it's in a DVD player, but the pay off is knowing how to use the software. I think it's worth it.
that wont work I'm out in the field with no computer i have a Sony laptop but its worthless and 6 years old
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Ok Chas. I'm going over and above here: I have downloaded the owners manual and I'm prepared to talk you through this but I need some very specific questions answered.

How are you getting the video TO the Sony recorder? Firewire, composite or component out?
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #27
Regular Crew

getting my video to the burner

Quote:
Ok Chas. I'm going over and above here: I have downloaded the owners manual and I'm prepared to talk you through this but I need some very specific questions answered.

How are you getting the video TO the Sony recorder? Firewire, composite or component out?
I have tried both fire wire and composite oh and thanks for going above and beyond lol
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Ok, according to the chart on Page 97 of the English Owners Manual, you need to select [Off] under the [Letterbox] menu item, and come out the video terminal outs. If you have a monitor attached to your Sony recorder, your footage will look stretched vertically. Believe it or not, this IS what you want at this stage. The DVD player at the other end of this process will deal with the DVD properly and letterbox your footage for 4:3 TVs or pass along a 16:9 signal for widescreen.
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #29
Regular Crew

owners manual

Quote:
Ok, according to the chart on Page 97 of the English Owners Manual, you need to select [Off] under the [Letterbox] menu item, and come out the video terminal outs. If you have a monitor attached to your Sony recorder, your footage will look stretched vertically. Believe it or not, this IS what you want at this stage. The DVD player at the other end of this process will deal with the DVD properly and letterbox your footage for 4:3 TVs or pass along a 16:9 signal for widescreen.
which owners manual the one for my camera or for sony dvd direct. note on my camera i have letter box set to off. the sony recorder has no way to attach a monitor.

now the camera has a few video terminals either fire wire or composite
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I was refring to the Canon Owners Manual. I'm downloading the Sony DVD recorder's now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite