DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Editing programs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/12049-editing-programs.html)

Corey Sturmer July 14th, 2003 12:33 PM

Editing programs?

I started editing digital video in 1999 when I discovered that it was possible (I was in the dark), with windows movie maker. Don't flame, I was 13! As I got more into the whole video production scene, I had heard from a number of people that Adobe Premier was a solid editing program, I got it, and have used it ever since. As things went along, I learned more about professional video production, what's involved, and watching loads of DVD director's cuts and such. When I entered my Junior year in High School, I switched from the Animal Science center of specialization to the Mass Communication center. I had heard of Final Cut Pro before, but never got a chance to use it until I got into the program at my school. I used it, liked it (I guess?) but perhaps didn't get enough time with it to experience it's greatness (2 and a half months). I continue to hear incredible reviews for the program, but I am a bit confused. I don't understand what exactly, is so amazing about this program, as compared to say, the Adobe alternative, or the Avid alternative. Avid is more expensive, yes? Adobe is cheaper. I can guess one might say, well it's built for the Mac, it's faster. How fast, do you actually need it to be? As long as there is no delay when scrubbing, cutting, playing, stopping, or anything, I don't really understand. My experience showed that Premier (On my PC at home) did real-time rendering faster than the macs at school (800 Mghz G4). Most professional editors, don't use gobs of effects, or cheesy transitions. With premier 6.5, the title designer aced FCP's, and I don't even use it, I use Photoshop. Some people complain of Premier bugs...I havn't experienced any! Nor have I ever crashed....

Advanced color correction? Adobe Pro is including this....

I'm not in favor of either really, just wondering what the MASSIVE difference is...
Yes, I know FCP can edit in 24p, but let's say we're all working with standard 30 fps....

Explain?

Replies appreciated in advance....

Rob Lohman July 15th, 2003 06:39 AM

I'm not an FCP user myself so I cannot comment too much on it.
But what I've heard is that most users tend to like the interface,
the flow of things and the power of the tools (like color correction)
that are in the suite.

Since this is basically an FCP question I have moved this thread
to the Mac forum.

Tor Salomonsen July 15th, 2003 06:48 AM

Tools are used differently on different equipment for different purposes. No wonder you get different opinions of them. New threads pop up all the time with opinions about what's wrong with this and what's good about that. No doubt this thread will soon become another one of those threads: low on information but high on emotion. It's only natural, because if people think highly of my tools, some of that esteem may rub off on me. And my ego is always desperate to be pleased.
If you have an editing tool you're happy with - go on, make some outstanding videos. I'd much rather hear about them.

K. Forman July 15th, 2003 06:54 AM

If you are using a Mac, and counting on Premiere Pro for color correction tools, you are out of the picture. Adobe is only supporting Win XP. So in your case, I would either A) stick with the version of Premiere you are currently using, or B) Buck up and get FCP. I personally would go for FCP.

I am a solid Premiere user, and a diehard PC advocate. The only reason I would switch camps and go Mac, would be to use FCP. I have yet to use it, but I have seen many examples of this gem in use. Then again, you also have the choice of Avid. I haven't used this program either, but again, have seen it used. It seems to be the choice of Broadcast editors.

Both have much better tools than Premiere currently offers. If you want to stick with Adobe and get the new Pro, you'll have to move on to a PC with XP.

Richard Alvarez July 15th, 2003 07:14 AM

Keith makes an excellent point. If you are "platform centric", some of your choices are limited. FCP is Mac only, Premiere is going to Win only. Avid is dual platform, and at the moment costs the same as FCP. Since you mention being a student, don't overlook the student versions of any of these programs. HUGE savings can be had that route.

K. Forman July 15th, 2003 07:21 AM

You mean I was actually concise and to the point? How'd that happen? Shhh! Don't tell anyone!

Corey Sturmer July 15th, 2003 08:45 AM

...Oh, I have a PC, with XP, and plan on getting premier pro, but when I graduate I will probably purchase FCP 4 for a powerbook or something...I just wanted to know the main benefits of FCP OVER premier.

K. Forman July 15th, 2003 09:00 AM

That's going to be hard to answer, mostly because the new Premiere isn't out yet. I guess you'll have to wait like the rest of us for some hands on reviews. I would recommend picking up a copy of DV magazine, when they review it. They have also reviewed FCP in the past. I rather like their straight forward comparison of the new editing programs before they are released.
You can also check them out online.