DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 29th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Should I be upset?

I'm typing this on a new iMac that I just pulled out of the box 20 minutes ago. I boot it up, and guess what? I get an e-mail announcing the new upgraded iMacs. Checked the specs, and it doesn't seem like that big of an upgrade, so I dunno. Maybe I should just be happy and quit whining. What do you all think?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Major Player

I believe that this will forever be an issue, regardless of the make/model of computer you buy. There is ALWAYS going to be a newer, "better" one on the horizon.

I guess since I have only been buying used computers for the past 10 years or so I never feel bad about the new releases! But, of course, I always want a better one than I have. It's the vicious cycle...

In the meantime, enjoy your brand new iMac!
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah, I feel sort of silly whining, but Jeez! The very same day!
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Same thing happened to me. although when I bought my 24" imac the price was $2500 then 24 days later the new one came out at $1899. I was too late to return as the date was past the 14 days. If you are within the return date just bring it back and get the new one, no problem. I don't think your whining just upset.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Major Player

I feel your pain Marco:

I just bought a Brand New G5 couple years back - because everyone was saying that although the rumors of Mac Intel are true, it'll take years for them to work out the bugs of the OS and new processor coming together - Wrong!

Well since then, my G5 has been ebayed - and 18months later I got the Mac Intel... for Apple to shortly release the 8core as the new standard Mac Pro - Doh!

Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

As much as it is a bummer,
there are plenty of sites that knew they would be upgraded yesterday.
mac rumors has been predicting an imac upgrade for about a week now.

they have a "when to buy section" check it out, they're usually pretty accurate.

Last edited by Nate Benson; April 29th, 2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Nate,
I usually do my homework - barefeats and what not, but mac rumors - the name turned me off...

However, just took a look at it - I LOVE that site... Especially the historical cycles, buy recommendations, firmware updates history - what a great recommendation!

Thanks,
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

So what do you think? Is this worth returning this machine over? I bought it from MacMall, so it's not just a matter of going over to the Apple store.
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Inner Circle

You can always go and try, why not?
In the Apple Store in the US, if I'm not mistaken, you can take things back after 14 days, so if Mac Mail wants to keep you as a good customer, maybe they'll try their best for you ;-).

I also buyed a Macbook Pro 2 weeks before the upgrade, but I'm very pleased. I also really needed it the day afterwards.
But if you buy it the same day as the upgrades, and you don't really need your computer now now now, you can always go and try to return it or get a refund or something. Some kind of deal.

Best of luck,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #10
Major Player

Why not? If you think the upgrade is worth it go ahead. I would be more pissed at the fact that they didn't let you know about the upgrade. Also if your happy see if you can get some money back so that you don't return it.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Major Player

Same type of thing happened to me. The day I ordered a Dual core was the day they annouced the quad core
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
So what do you think? Is this worth returning this machine over? I bought it from MacMall, so it's not just a matter of going over to the Apple store.
You might actually be fortunate to have purchased from MacMall. Apparently they are offering $50-$100 mail in rebates for existing "new" stock before the new new models actually arrive. I read this on MacRumors so I can't vouch for it.
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/promo...ource=mwb11341

The actual rebates: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...p#tabs_section

EDIT: wait a sec... I read the fine print on the rebate form and it says you have to have placed your order on or after the 28th of April. If you received your imac today then I assume you ordered last week. Sorry man.
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
I'm typing this on a new iMac that I just pulled out of the box 20 minutes ago. I boot it up, and guess what? I get an e-mail announcing the new upgraded iMacs. Checked the specs, and it doesn't seem like that big of an upgrade, so I dunno. Maybe I should just be happy and quit whining. What do you all think?
Hi Marco.

I bought my iMac on Thursday, then they released a cheaper, faster one on Monday. I was almost going to wait until the Monday but, no, I just had to pick it up before the long weekend (Friday was a public holiday over here). I bought my earlier G5 iMac at the end of December 2005 and two weeks later they announced the move to Intel chips!

Even though it's a cliche, that's often how it goes on the bleeding edge.

But the most important question is, "Does your iMac do everything that you need it to do for the immediately foreseeable future?" If the answer is yes, then you're not too badly off. (But if you're able to return it for the newer one, then that's even better!)
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Well, it wasn't a big secret that was suddenly sprung on the world today...the buzz about the new iMacs has been going on for a short while. I understand your disappointment, though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite