Please Help Me Understand Imac ram upgrade! at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South Carolina, US
Posts: 35
Please Help Me Understand Imac ram upgrade!

I'm purchasing the first of many Mac's for my church and I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision. This particular computer will be used for our graphic design department and will be running photoshop, illustrator and in design.

When I spoke with one of the Apple rep's, he told me that an Imac would be fine for what we're trying to do but said that everything in the imac is set in stone. After some further explanation, I believe he was trying to tell me that if I want to upgrade to the 500 GB hard drive or 4 gb of ram, I would have to get it installed with my order thru apple and wouldn't be able to purchase from another site and install it on my own. Is this true?
Jessica Gourdine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Halden
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Gourdine View Post
I'm purchasing the first of many Mac's for my church and I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision. This particular computer will be used for our graphic design department and will be running photoshop, illustrator and in design.

When I spoke with one of the Apple rep's, he told me that an Imac would be fine for what we're trying to do but said that everything in the imac is set in stone. After some further explanation, I believe he was trying to tell me that if I want to upgrade to the 500 GB hard drive or 4 gb of ram, I would have to get it installed with my order thru apple and wouldn't be able to purchase from another site and install it on my own. Is this true?
RAM is easy to upgrade on your own, HD's are more difficult I believe.
Henrik Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Reach View Post
RAM is easy to upgrade on your own, HD's are more difficult I believe.
Hard drives are fine. I've already upgraded the hard drive in my iMac a couple times. Sometimes the drive manufacturer supplies specialty software with the drive that is Windows only, but the drive itself can be installed and used just fine by OSX.

RAM is the same way... just buy the recommended RAM module from any of the online or local retailers. You do need to use matched sets though for optimum performance.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Gourdine View Post
After some further explanation, I believe he was trying to tell me that if I want to upgrade to the 500 GB hard drive or 4 gb of ram, I would have to get it installed with my order thru apple and wouldn't be able to purchase from another site and install it on my own. Is this true?
Retrofitting bigger Hard Drive is possible but difficult on an iMac (unless you are into this sort of techie stuff) and not for the inexperienced.

More RAM on the other hand is relatively easy and MUCH cheaper than buying it from Apple. Few people by their Macs with extra RAM fitted by Apple. It doesn't per se invalidate the warranty to do this, but I would recommend refitting the original Apple memory chips if sending a Mac in for a warranty or AppleCare repair.

Mac Pros are much easier to work on.

Not exactly impartial but worth a look:

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/m...=imac-core-duo

"We recommend professional installation for replacing the hard drive in the Intel iMac. We can sell you a drive to install yourself, but we cannot provide help for the installation process.

Please note that installing this drive yourself will invalidate any remaining Apple warranty".

Last edited by Colin McDonald; April 30th, 2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added link etc
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Halden
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Hard drives are fine. I've already upgraded the hard drive in my iMac a couple times. Sometimes the drive manufacturer supplies specialty software with the drive that is Windows only, but the drive itself can be installed and used just fine by OSX.

RAM is the same way... just buy the recommended RAM module from any of the online or local retailers. You do need to use matched sets though for optimum performance.

-gb-
Ok, I just know that the RAM is very easy to access, didn't think it was the same with the HD. Sure there are tons of HD's that are compatible, but that doesn't mean I advice people without any relevant experience swapping the HD in their MBP for example. I assume it's easier on the iMac, but you get my point?
Henrik Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Posts: 145
Not that I recommend anyone doing this at all without suitable experience in electronics...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=350120

This has a detailed explanation of how to open and replace a hard drive in a new iMac. Again, if you are not comfortable with taking a electronic device apart and putting it back together (correctly!), I do not recommend doing this on your own.
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Monterey Bay area, CA
Posts: 82
You don't need a big internal hard drive. You do want a big and fast external drive, both for Photoshop and for your NLE.
Tsu Terao is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network