DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   DV 720x480 exports as 4:3 in FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/120667-dv-720x480-exports-4-3-fcp.html)

John Benton April 30th, 2008 11:48 PM

DV 720x480 exports as 4:3 in FCP

I am sleepless on a job and obviously not thinking...
Given all this footage already digitized 720x480,
it plays in Quicktime as 16x9
but when I export it from Final Cut it is squashed to 4:3

I have tried changing my Audio/Video Settings
and even export settings (nothing gives me 16 x 9 except the pro Res where you specify the 16 x 9 size)

WTF?
How can I be so...?
'elp please,
thanks,
J

Mike Flynn May 1st, 2008 11:12 AM

Is it anamorphic 16:9 footage, or is it 4:3 NTSC footage? If it is anamorphic and you are exporting it as so, then it will be squished on export if you use "current settings" from an anamorphic sequence. What is your final method of delivery here?

Chris Medico May 1st, 2008 11:37 AM

Is there a setting there that says "square" or "non-square" pixles?

John Benton May 1st, 2008 12:28 PM

The Browser in FCP says the Quicktimes are 720 x 480
but when I check the individual Quicktime files : they say they are 853x 480

The item properties in CP reveals that the clips are anamorphic.
They appear in the FCP Browser correctly as 16x9

The Project is Easy Setup NTSC.
Whether I export it as DV NTSC or DV NTSC -ANAMORPHIC it is squished the same
I will check to find if they are square pixels, but they are displayed correctly in FCP.

??

Final output is a variety : DVD & Web
Thanks,
J

John Stakes May 1st, 2008 12:37 PM

try defining the dimensions under "custom" when you are setting up the details of the export. Preset dimensions sometimes yield funny results.

-JS

John Benton May 1st, 2008 12:55 PM

Thanks John,
I altered the size (to 853x480) under Custom,
and it works to get the 16X9

But I still don't completely Understand.
Square pixels dont seem to make a difference
neither does Checking Anamorphic or not...
?

Les Wilson May 2nd, 2008 06:44 AM

The ratio of width to height is called the Aspect Ratio. Video that is 720x480 pixels is neither a 4x3 nor 16x9 aspect ratio. Do the math. 4 divided by 3 is 1.33. 16 divided by 9 is 1.77. Compare 720 divided by 480 to these.

The quicktime player and various FCP windows can have their aspect ratios set differently and will push/stretch the video data to conform. The window will likely override/ignore what is stored in the video data. For example, the canvas window will be set based on the timeline properties. The browser window will be set based on the information in the clip. YMMV

When you used the Easy Setup NTSC, your project's canvas window is set to 720x480 or 640x480 (I forget). Video in your bin that shows it is 720x480 and the anamorphic field is "checked" means that 853x480 video you use in your Easy Setup NTSC project is going to be squished into the Easy Setup NTSC aspect ratio. Exporting your project creates a QT file that is 720x480 (with the video squished). All you have to do to stretch it out is open the file in QT Pro, Window->Movie Properties, click the video track, uncheck "Maintain Aspect Ratio" and change the width to 853. The QT player will now stretch it to the 853x480 size (do the math and see what the aspect ratio is).

In my experience (I am still on FCP 5.1), even if I define a project as DV-NTSC Anamorphic, exporting it to a QT results in a file set to 720x480 and I have to go into Movie Properties if I want to view it in 853x480. Furthermore, checking anamorphic after you have already put video on the timeline won't change the timeline clip's aspect ratios. You can either re-drop everything onto the newly shaped timeline or open the Motion tab for each clip on the timeline and change it's aspect ratio under the Distort twistie.

John Benton May 2nd, 2008 08:25 AM

Ernest,
Thank You !
That is a great explanation,
much appreciated,
J