Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 16th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Apple Offers Premiere owners upgrade to Final Cut Pro

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jul/16fcp.html

Starting today through September 20, 2003, Premiere customers have the choice of trading in their disks for a free copy of Final Cut Express or receiving a $500 (US) rebate from the purchase of Final Cut Pro 4

Apple is also offering customers who purchase any new Macintosh® computer the opportunity to purchase Final Cut Express at the same time for just $99 (US)—a savings of $200 (US) from the suggested retail price.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 05:23 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Almost enough to make me want to switch camps... FCP is the only thing I like about Mac.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Same here Keith. Believe me, it is very tempting to mail in my Premiere CD...
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:22 AM   #4
Major Player

My AP install disk won't fetch much on ebay, and the value of the DV Collection makes upgrading almost pointless, so I was tempted to get a free copy of FCE to play with. But without keyframing it's little more than a toy.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 06:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Huh?

Where did you get your info, Nigel?

FCE has keyframing built in.

Quoted from Apple's site:

4. In-Canvas Compositing with Motion Key Frames
Compositing is the technique of layering multiple video tracks to create visual effects. This can mean a simple title card over video or a complicated video montage. Final Cut Express gives you this capability and more, right in the Canvas window. Composite up to 99 layers of video together in a sequence (with nesting, you can have a virtually unlimited number of layers). Then use the intuitive interface of Final Cut Express to control parameters of each layer — things like scale, rotation and key framing. The compositing engine of Final Cut Express includes advanced features like motion paths with Bezier curves, motion blur, time effects and frame blending. This gives you precise control over the location, movement and speed of each video element. Sub-pixel interpolation rendering insures that your video looks great when you’re done. With Final Cut Express, your projects get eye-popping motion graphics.
Old July 17th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #6
Major Player

I was under the impression that you couldn't keyframe effects and filters in FCE. This came from an FCE/FCP comparison chart that seems to have conveniently disappered...there was a link from the FCE page.

Nor could I see anyway of keyframing effects and filters in this training video: http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress...er/titles.html

But, then the FCE specs don't mention that these parameters are keyframable, and it's notlike Apple to hide its light under a bushel.
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Nigel Moore : I was under the impression that you couldn't keyframe effects and filters in FCE. This came from an FCE/FCP comparison chart that seems to have conveniently disappered...there was a link from the FCE page.

Nor could I see anyway of keyframing effects and filters in this training video: http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress...er/titles.html

But, then the FCE specs don't mention that these parameters are keyframable, and it's notlike Apple to hide its light under a bushel. -->>>

Check out the video right after that one on compositing and animation. Keyframes up the ying yang :)
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #8
Capt. Quirk

Gee... Do we switch camps for FCE? Is it worth going Mac? Arrrrrgh! The pressure! Want... to... keep...PC! Want...FCP!
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Step into the light, Keith...

Deny the Dark Side and Lord Gates.

(g)
Old July 17th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #10
Warden

I hear Bill Gates in the background saying "Keith, I am your Father"

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 01:19 AM   #11
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Benjamin Harrison : Check out the video right after that one on compositing and animation. Keyframes up the ying yang :) -->>>

For motion, yes. For effects, no. Or at least not as far up the ying yang as I could see. If I want to change a blur over time, how would I do it?
Old July 18th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #12
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

From my perspective, as a FCP 4 user and a long-past Premiere (PC) user, this would be one hell of a chance to move up to the full FCP 4. If you spend a substantial amount of time with your editor it's a move you will not regret.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 03:32 AM   #13

It's not like you have to UNINSTALL Premiere from your PC or whatever. I can't figure out why'd you want to keep it though. FCP4 is so worth it.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 03:55 AM   #14
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Nigel,

There are loads of cheap plug-ins that can do what you want. Joe's Filters is one...and another is CHV-plugins.com.
Old July 18th, 2003, 05:35 AM   #15
Capt. Quirk

Now you guys are just being mean! Jeff- If he was my Daddy, he owes me a significant back allowance!
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite