DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

video card?

I posted this on another place but got no answers...

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'v been reading in here for a short while though. Thanks for all your helpful information.

I feel embarrassed to ask but I'm having a hard time finding good info on this. So, far I only work with SD video but I'm on my way to move to HD soon. My next purchases will probably be a couple of HD cams and a MBP (I also have a G5, see my gear). What I don't quite know or understand when do I need to update video card. is DVI not capable of sending HD? If someone could give me a short explanation on why I need some new video card I will really appreciated. A link will be fine too, I don't mind reading, jeje.

I'm basically trying to learn if I need to get a new card, or matrox, why and how to choose a good one.

I hope is not too much to ask.

Thanks
Osmany Tellez
Osmany Tellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Welcome Osmany,

First, you should never feel embarrassed about asking questions here. The wonderful thing about dvInfo is that there are people from many levels of experience sharing knowledge. :-)

I think there may be some confusion about whether you are asking about video cards -- for attaching to your computer monitor(s) -- and capture cards.

To explain it in a quick and simple way (I have to run out the door in a sec): capture cards -- such as the AJA Kona and Blackmagic Decklink -- are for feeding the footage into your computer, from either a camera or deck, as well as outputing the footage to a deck and broadcast monitor.

A video card -- such as the NVIDIA and ATI -- are simply for connecting you computer monitor(s) to your computer.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

getting clear

Thanks for responding Mike.

Ok, I'm understanding a bit more everyday but I'm still unsure of so many things. Basically I'm going to be buying HD cameras (deciding Between HPX170 and HMC150) and a second cheaper camera as well.

I own a dual core 2.0 GHz G5 and will buy a MBP soon.

So, my questions are...

Do I need to upgrade my video card or I can work with what I have?
Do I need to buy a capture card or I will my firewire connection will be enough?
Can I monitor my HD footage on a Dell 2408 from my DVI output or do I need to get something like MXO2?
Do I need to have RAID or SATA will handle this?

I wonder if anyone could shine some light to this questions.
Any help will be much appreciated as I try to build my editing system.

Thanks to all.

Osmany Tellez

PS. In case more information is need it. I'm getting ready to move to South America and I hope to start a business down there videotaping an editing weddings and events (of course music videos and documentaries will be better if I have a choice). I know that still SD is the norm in most homes but as we all know everything is moving to HD now and I want to be ready because it'll be easier now than later for me. and already many homes have HDTV and soon will be demanding more and more HD.

This is the rest of my gear... thanks
FCPS2, G5 Dual core 2.0 GHz, 2.5 Ram, Dell 2408, M-audio DX4, DVX 100A, Sachtler DV6, Manfrotto 561B, Zoom H-4, RE-50, AT890 shotgun, steadicam Merlin,
Osmany Tellez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite