DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #1
New Boot

HV20 output to HD Cam

My client wants footage delivered on HDcam. I shot about an hour with the Canon HV20 in the cinemode (24f). I have a post house using Final Cut (same as me) that will output to HD Cam but I am unsure what exactly to deliver.

I usually capture in the 108024p - Easy Set Up, which captures the HV20 footage to 29.98/1080i60. Can I drop the footage into a 1080i60 timeline and make a self contained QT with the those settings, have the post house import my quicktime on the same timeline and output? Or do I need to remove pulldown before I output to HD Cam?

Thanks.
Mike Sarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Never seen that workflow, ever.

Best thing to do is ask the post-house this question, that way you're not guessing and their editors will get exactly what they need.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sarner View Post
My client wants footage delivered on HDcam. I shot about an hour with the Canon HV20 in the cinemode (24f). I have a post house using Final Cut (same as me) that will output to HD Cam but I am unsure what exactly to deliver.

I usually capture in the 108024p - Easy Set Up, which captures the HV20 footage to 29.98/1080i60. Can I drop the footage into a 1080i60 timeline and make a self contained QT with the those settings, have the post house import my quicktime on the same timeline and output? Or do I need to remove pulldown before I output to HD Cam?

Thanks.
This is not too different from what we are doing (acquire HDV, process in ProRes, master to HDCAM). You might want to render out the .mov as something non-HDV like ProRes HQ, but I believe the pulldown should stay.
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #4
New Boot

thanks ben. question is do i need to process in prores? could I output a self contained 1080i60 QT and transfer that to the HD Cam? remember the footage shot on HV20 was in 24.
Mike Sarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Good question- no you don't need to process in ProRes, we do it for the gain in color space but you might be doing the post house a favor by giving them something intraframe and not HDV. They will tell you if they can take an HDV file. Re. pulldown, sounds like you can leave it as-is for an HDCAM transfer but you may want to double-check on how the client wants it, for their purposes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite