DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 19th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Some questions that have been bugging me

Two quick questions

I work for a community television company in Ireland, its pretty new and the staff as a whole are treating this as a learning experience (learn by experience, best kind).

Anyway I am just finishing up our first project (a 7 episode series about community events across the north side of dublin city.)

and in preparation of our next program (a sports show on the first irish paintball league) I have came across two issues I should have sussed *way* back at the start.

1. Its more an inquiry then anything else, The company that broadcasts our programs told us they only broadcast in 4:3 at the moment and how its done is through a program they have that stretches all images so it is 4:3, they recommend that we do not use 16:9 for any of our projects. Problem is our producer wants to shoot the next two programs in 16:9. Now I am only the lowly editor for the moment so I am not gonna step between them, but what is the recommended process in final cut pro for setting up 16:9 footage to be aired in a 4:3? If its not gonna be a good result is there anything I can say to the broadcast company or recommend to make it easier for 16:9 footage.

2. More of slight technical hitch, we shoot using jvc hd 110 cameras and its been brought to my attention that every piece of footage has a small line of black at the top and to the left of every image we have shot, while this doesnt show in the tv broadcast due to the 4:3 stretching of every image, it does show on any footage put to dvd or online. Now my original theory was that it was because the lense/camera were designed for 16:9 and the camera's own cropping was a tiny bit off. But a test shooting in 16:9 showed the same effect still at the top (but no longer to the left.) I assume this is a simple issue to fix by slight bit of cropping or setting a aspect ratio when exporting. Thats not what I am asking about, what my concern is what was the cause, as I would like to know if I messed up in final cut pro so I can correct it in future.

thank you.
Connla Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connla Lyons View Post
Two quick questions

1. Its more an inquiry then anything else, The company that broadcasts our programs told us they only broadcast in 4:3 at the moment and how its done is through a program they have that stretches all images so it is 4:3, they recommend that we do not use 16:9 for any of our projects. Problem is our producer wants to shoot the next two programs in 16:9. Now I am only the lowly editor for the moment so I am not gonna step between them, but what is the recommended process in final cut pro for setting up 16:9 footage to be aired in a 4:3? If its not gonna be a good result is there anything I can say to the broadcast company or recommend to make it easier for 16:9 footage.

thank you.
What I personally would do (assuming you are shooting SD 16:9 anamorphic) is edit your footage in an anamorphic 16:9 timeline (to maintain aspect ratio and realtime performance) and then when the cut is FINISHED, nest the 16:9 anamorphic sequence inside a 4:3 sequence (which will automatically letterbox it) and render the 4:3 sequence and then export to tape or however you get your footage to the broadcaster. The reason I suggest doing it this way is so any transitions or effects you use only affect the viewable video area in your edit, irrespective of the letterboxing.

As well, what I typically will do when delivering 16:9 letterboxed material is to add font AFTER the export so that I can place text outside the 16:9 video area but still inside the title safe area of the 4:3 workspace. If you font in 16:9 title safe and then letterbox for 4:3, your text will be VERY inside safe area and will look strange, in my humble opinion.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connla Lyons View Post
Two quick questions

I work for a community television company in Ireland, its pretty new and the staff as a whole are treating this as a learning experience (learn by experience, best kind).

Anyway I am just finishing up our first project (a 7 episode series about community events across the north side of dublin city.)

and in preparation of our next program (a sports show on the first irish paintball league) I have came across two issues I should have sussed *way* back at the start.

2. More of slight technical hitch, we shoot using jvc hd 110 cameras and its been brought to my attention that every piece of footage has a small line of black at the top and to the left of every image we have shot, while this doesnt show in the tv broadcast due to the 4:3 stretching of every image, it does show on any footage put to dvd or online. Now my original theory was that it was because the lense/camera were designed for 16:9 and the camera's own cropping was a tiny bit off. But a test shooting in 16:9 showed the same effect still at the top (but no longer to the left.) I assume this is a simple issue to fix by slight bit of cropping or setting a aspect ratio when exporting. Thats not what I am asking about, what my concern is what was the cause, as I would like to know if I messed up in final cut pro so I can correct it in future.

thank you.
Many companies producing for broadcast will originate in 16:9 HD but also compose for a center-cut 4:3 down-res, whereby the sides are cut off the original image. To design for both 16:9 & 4:3 requires skillful camera work and careful placement of titles, etc. but with this strategy you can protect your content regardless of how it is deployed.
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
What I personally would do (assuming you are shooting SD 16:9 anamorphic) is edit your footage in an anamorphic 16:9 timeline (to maintain aspect ratio and realtime performance) and then when the cut is FINISHED, nest the 16:9 anamorphic sequence inside a 4:3 sequence (which will automatically letterbox it) and render the 4:3 sequence and then export to tape or however you get your footage to the broadcaster. The reason I suggest doing it this way is so any transitions or effects you use only affect the viewable video area in your edit, irrespective of the letterboxing.
The OP would need to make sure the b'caster will accept letterboxed masters. Some places will only air full frame 4x3.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kimery View Post
The OP would need to make sure the b'caster will accept letterboxed masters. Some places will only air full frame 4x3.
-A
Valid point. The broadcast pieces we do are normally "bought time" by my client so we get to do "whatever we like".

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite