DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Final Cut Pro 6 / V1 Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/121959-final-cut-pro-6-v1-thread.html)

Justin Zimmerman May 19th, 2008 09:26 AM

Final Cut Pro 6 / V1 Thread

Okay, I've had my V1 for a little over a year now, and finally just snagged FCP Studio 2. I've read TONS of different opinions about capture quality, workflows, etc. For those FCP users, let's try and congregate here.

I shoot to tape and then firewire out to an 8-core Xeon Mac. I've been shooting 24P and 30P and simply editing natively in FCP 5 on a 1080i timeline.

I've played around with sharpness and settings and have yet to settle on one precise profile, but enjoy the camera and its many quirks. There are many, MANY questions about the camera and editing its footage out there. Just Google.

I'll be shooting some test footage this weekend and seeing if the camera will FINALLY effectively interface with FCP. It would also be a treat to actually be able to print to video. Supposedly, this will now occur. I'll keep you informed.

So, FCP 6:

With this last update, I can now go to ProRes or ProRes HQ through firewire.

First, what do YOU use to edit? Native, AIC, ProRes or ProRes HQ?

Second, do YOU shoot 24, 24A or 30?

Third, what sequence setting do YOU use in FCP to edit?

Fourth, what do YOU export to?

Last, what's the thing that will save me in a V1 to FCP 6 pipeline that nobody told you...but you'd wish they had?!

Thanks,

Justin Zimmerman
Bricker-Down Productions™
www.brickerdown.com
www.youtube.com/zimfilm

Jon Braeley May 20th, 2008 06:09 AM

I have 25 hours of footage for my current project that I shot on my V1. I captured this using HDMI from the V1 to a BlackMagic Intensity card (PCI-Xpress). I no longer use firewire from the V1.

I capture in ProRes (HQ) - it looks great and is very easy to edit once you are on the timeline - no render times, no wait. No HDV. Intensity has a ProRes setting in FCP, easy set-up. It is very simple. Insert the card into your mac - add the driver software - fire up FCP - and all the capture settings are there for the intensity card, inc 24p and even 24p or 30p.
I came to this workflow after attending a ProRes seminar by Apple. I add graphics/maps and stuff to my documentaries, so the quality of ProRes for this is my motivation.

Lee Berger May 20th, 2008 11:21 AM

I'm editing on a G5 with PCI-E slots so the Blackmagic card is not an option. I have captured ProRes via Firewire, but I like to batch capture with machine control and that's not possible using that workflow. I have settled on capturing and editing in native HDV. I render in ProRes 422 (in the Sequence Settings, under the Render Control Tab). I find this workflow quite reasonable for the documentary work I've been doing in HDV.

By the way this month's DV Magazine has a brief feature on Anthony's Bourdain's No Reservations. It's shot on location using two V1U's. I've seen a few episodes and it looks quite good.

www.dvmag.com

Justin Zimmerman May 23rd, 2008 03:57 PM

Been editing with ProRes HQ and it's great! Been reading a lot of conflicting reports about ProRes versus HQ. Anyone care to weigh in?

Hugh Mobley May 23rd, 2008 04:09 PM

If possible can u post a clip from the V1 when captured with hdmi and blackmagic, I would like to see the difference between that and what cineform and sony vegas produces,

Justin Zimmerman May 28th, 2008 10:25 AM

no one else has the FCP Studio 2?

Chris Hurd May 28th, 2008 10:33 AM

Moved from Sony V1 to NLE / Mac.

Jason Boyette May 28th, 2008 11:34 AM

I have the dr60 harddrive and I use that in FCP and it works just fine (capturing to prores or hdv 60i 1080)
When I use the tape I have to use firewire and just use capture now (it detects the scenes but I haven't figured out how to log and capture yet)
Hope this is what you were looking for

Justin Zimmerman May 28th, 2008 02:30 PM

Log and capture just will not work with the HDV, period.

Glad to hear the hard drive is finally usable. Horrible with the last version so I didn't pick one up.

Heck, I'm just glad my VU1 can actually communicate with the new FCP finally.

Any discernible difference between the hard drive footage and the tape footage?

Justin Zimmerman May 28th, 2008 02:31 PM

Why are we moving this forum? We're talking about specific VU1 info.

Robert Lane May 29th, 2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Zimmerman (Post 884615)
Why are we moving this forum? We're talking about specific VU1 info.

Because it's specific to Mac users only, Windows users won't benefit from this thread.

Sherif Choudhry May 29th, 2008 03:23 PM

Jon, whats the advantage of hdmi/blackmagic over firewire? speed? cant be quality as its still HDV that comes out of hdmi, right?

thanks