DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Anyone else have Motion freezing issues? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/122035-anyone-else-have-motion-freezing-issues.html)

Jim Fields May 20th, 2008 09:45 AM

Anyone else have Motion freezing issues?

Hey guys, been awhile, but I thought I would bring this up.

Using Final Cut Studio 2 on my older Mac Pro Quad I would try to open Motion only to have it freeze at the welcome screen. Though I had many issues with that specific MP Quad, when I went to the new 2008 MP Octo 2.8, everything seemed fine.

Now Motion is doing the same thing, when I start Motion, it freezes on the welcome screen, and hangs, give it 3 hours, give it 3 minutes, it wont respond. Reset Pram, restart, dont have anything else running, have something else running, it does not mater.

I have everything updated via software update, firmware, studio software, OXS, etc.

I am curious to see if anyone else has this issue to.

I'm running a 2.8 Octo with 4 GB memory, Nviddia video.

All other software runs fine, checked disk permissions.

David Scattergood May 20th, 2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Fields (Post 880494)
Hey guys, been awhile, but I thought I would bring this up.

Using Final Cut Studio 2 on my older Mac Pro Quad I would try to open Motion only to have it freeze at the welcome screen. Though I had many issues with that specific MP Quad, when I went to the new 2008 MP Octo 2.8, everything seemed fine.

Now Motion is doing the same thing, when I start Motion, it freezes on the welcome screen, and hangs, give it 3 hours, give it 3 minutes, it wont respond. Reset Pram, restart, dont have anything else running, have something else running, it does not mater.

I have everything updated via software update, firmware, studio software, OXS, etc.

I am curious to see if anyone else has this issue to.

I'm running a 2.8 Octo with 4 GB memory, Nviddia video.

All other software runs fine, checked disk permissions.

My Motion 2 has been running extremely slow of late - far more labour intensive projects have run fine on FCP, but very minor Motion projects crawl along. Quick internet search reveals a few issues with Motion not running at all well - not sure if related Jim but it's a possibility, although I can't be of much help :(

Mark Keck May 21st, 2008 04:48 AM

Same thing here... totally locked up at the welcome screen. Started for me a few days ago on FCP while I was doing some simple compositing, FCP would just quit. I thought it might be due to a file I was importing so I was able to re-do the file in a different codec an then start a new project... not that big of a deal as I was just getting started. Anyway that seemed to fix that problem but then a very simple composite, only 15 sec long, took almost an hour to render... a similar one I had done over the weekend that only took about 4 minutes. Then last night, I try going into Motion and stuck. I'm just now getting around to trying to figure out why.

I'm really more of a pc guy and this is the first big hiccup I've had on mac, so this is going to be a learning experience for me. Anyway, tried restarting and software is completely up to date. How do you reset the param???

Good luck... I think we're going to need it.

Mark

Mark Keck May 21st, 2008 05:00 AM

Just found this on the apple board...

delete users/library/preferences/motion.plist

And restart motion... works for me. Now why is FCP running slow???

Mark