Anyone else have Motion freezing issues? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 20th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone else have Motion freezing issues?

Hey guys, been awhile, but I thought I would bring this up.

Using Final Cut Studio 2 on my older Mac Pro Quad I would try to open Motion only to have it freeze at the welcome screen. Though I had many issues with that specific MP Quad, when I went to the new 2008 MP Octo 2.8, everything seemed fine.

Now Motion is doing the same thing, when I start Motion, it freezes on the welcome screen, and hangs, give it 3 hours, give it 3 minutes, it wont respond. Reset Pram, restart, dont have anything else running, have something else running, it does not mater.

I have everything updated via software update, firmware, studio software, OXS, etc.

I am curious to see if anyone else has this issue to.

I'm running a 2.8 Octo with 4 GB memory, Nviddia video.

All other software runs fine, checked disk permissions.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fields View Post
Hey guys, been awhile, but I thought I would bring this up.

Using Final Cut Studio 2 on my older Mac Pro Quad I would try to open Motion only to have it freeze at the welcome screen. Though I had many issues with that specific MP Quad, when I went to the new 2008 MP Octo 2.8, everything seemed fine.

Now Motion is doing the same thing, when I start Motion, it freezes on the welcome screen, and hangs, give it 3 hours, give it 3 minutes, it wont respond. Reset Pram, restart, dont have anything else running, have something else running, it does not mater.

I have everything updated via software update, firmware, studio software, OXS, etc.

I am curious to see if anyone else has this issue to.

I'm running a 2.8 Octo with 4 GB memory, Nviddia video.

All other software runs fine, checked disk permissions.
My Motion 2 has been running extremely slow of late - far more labour intensive projects have run fine on FCP, but very minor Motion projects crawl along. Quick internet search reveals a few issues with Motion not running at all well - not sure if related Jim but it's a possibility, although I can't be of much help :(
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Same thing here... totally locked up at the welcome screen. Started for me a few days ago on FCP while I was doing some simple compositing, FCP would just quit. I thought it might be due to a file I was importing so I was able to re-do the file in a different codec an then start a new project... not that big of a deal as I was just getting started. Anyway that seemed to fix that problem but then a very simple composite, only 15 sec long, took almost an hour to render... a similar one I had done over the weekend that only took about 4 minutes. Then last night, I try going into Motion and stuck. I'm just now getting around to trying to figure out why.

I'm really more of a pc guy and this is the first big hiccup I've had on mac, so this is going to be a learning experience for me. Anyway, tried restarting and software is completely up to date. How do you reset the param???

Good luck... I think we're going to need it.

Mark
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Just found this on the apple board...

delete users/library/preferences/motion.plist

And restart motion... works for me. Now why is FCP running slow???

Mark
Mark Keck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite