Aiptek into FCP6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Aiptek into FCP6

Hi, I am new to video and have been learning a lot reading this forum.

Thanks to everyone! But here is something I haven't been able to find.

I am trying to get some Aiptek HD-A 720P footage into a 29.97 timeline with footage from a XH-A1 and it gives me an unrecognized frame rate error. So I have been converting it in compressor but was wondering if there was a better way, or for that matter if I was even doing it the best way in compressor.

In compressor I have been setting the frame rate to 29.97, no compression, quicktime movie. It seems to work and the footage doesn't seem to look any worse (not that it looks that good to start with).

Thanks again,

Jonah
Jonah Bierlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM   #2
New Boot

Well, it didn't work very well. I didn't realize that I would have to render it too. It is taking a long time.

Is there a better way?
Jonah Bierlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Welcome to the forum, Jonah.

Keep in mind that the Aiptek is shooting H.264 whereas the Canon is shooting HDV. Both the framerates and GOP structures will be completely different so you'd have to render either the Aiptek or the Canon footage regardless.

However, if you're using FCP6 you can convert both the Canon and Aiptek into ProRes 422 and then edit without having to render the footage after importing into a timeline. That would be the best way to handle the differing formats.

The little Aiptek has gotten good reviews on the consumer marketplace; you should post some of your samples in the appropriate category here on the forum!

Enjoy both your cams.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #4
New Boot

Robert,

Thank you for the information. I will try converting to ProRes 422.

The Aiptek is amazing considering the price. The picture is pretty good it there is little motion, it gets a little chunky when there is - but what do you expect for $150.

It is a though little camera. I had it taped to the forks of a motorcycle that crashed - on the camera side of course. The LCD was bent about 45 degrees the wrong way. I bent it back and it is still working fine - the good thing about limited moving parts I guess.

Thanks again!

jb
Jonah Bierlein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite