Monitor Choice Help! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 28th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #16
Wrangler

The display calibration assistant works with any kind of screen plugged into your Mac, but that doesn't mean your display will suddenly become "broadcast quality".

I think you should just relax, enjoy the new computer and follow George's advice:

"Giles, if you want a no fuss good quality "system" just add the Apple display to your Mac Pro order. If you believe the Dell is a better deal, you can use that too; at the very least it has more connectors.

You will be happy with either. [that's an order, not a promise ;-) ]
"

After you get more comfortable with the new system you can decide if you want to spend the additional money needed for a broadcast quality monitor. Personally, I've had a 24" Apple Cinema display for nearly 4 years and love it. But it certainly wasn't cheap when I bought it...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Just bought the Dell! However thisevening I'm also going to get the mac with the ACD too! The only way I'm going to know for sure is to compare the both of them, then I'm going to send the loser home.

Not sure if Apple accept refunds actually,anyone know? I can just sell it if not.

I'll post up here once I've played with both of them and let you all know what I think.

Delivery is the 10th of June! Mental but never mind.

Thanks to all who posted for me,

Best,

Giles B
Giles Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Giles,

Great solution you came up with. Now I would keep 'm both and add an MXO. Then you'd be set!

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Good luck! Many will be very interested in how these two compare. Look forward to reading it all in mid June!
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Buchanan View Post
Not sure if Apple accept refunds actually,anyone know? I can just sell it if not.
Heh, that's the kind of question you really should ask before you order! Since you're in the UK I don't know what the policy is. Did you buy through the Apple Store online or a dealer? At the US Apple store, scroll down to the bottom the the homepage and click on the link "sales and refunds" and you will see a very clear explanation of their policy. I'm sure can easily be found on international sites as well. In the US the policy is as follows:

Quote:
If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival (see the section below for more detailed information on such Dead on Arrival products). If the item is returnable and you send it back to us unopened in the original box, Apple will offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. You must return the product to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. Apple will assess a 10% restocking fee on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, Apple may ask you to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) so Apple can assess the 10% restocking fee.

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

Product that is custom configured to your specifications, including personalized products

Opened memory, including storage devices such as memory sticks (but excluding disc drives)

Opened software (Note that you may return software after rejecting the licensing terms, provided the software is not installed on a computer. However, if your software includes a license that you can read before you break the seal or sticker on the software media packaging, you may not return the software once you break the software media packaging seal or sticker.)

Electronic software downloads

Software Up to Date Program Products (i.e., software upgrade subscription product)

Apple Gift Cards

Apple Gift Packaging (origami style gift box with ribbon and greeting card)

Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)

NOTE: Apple recommends that you (1) use a carrier that offers shipment tracking for all returns and (2) either insure your package for safe return to Apple or declare the full value of the shipment so that you are completely protected if the shipment is lost or damaged in transit. If you choose not to (1) use a carrier that offers tracking or (2) insure or declare the full value of the product, you will be responsible for any loss or damage to the product during shipping.
If you bought your computer elsewhere then check with the vendor for their return policy. Regardless - congratulations! I think George has the right idea actually :-)
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:00 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I wish I was wealthy enough to buy all of that and keep both screens but I am unfortunately a student. Maybe one day though.

Was wondering if anybody knew a good link where I could find out some settings for the Dell screen or how I can actually configure the thing?

(Dell Screen arriving Monday 2nd, Apple stuff est 12th :)

Giles
Giles Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Buchanan View Post
I wish I was wealthy enough to buy all of that and keep both screens but I am unfortunately a student.
Well in that case you really should have read Apple's return policy first. If it's similar to the US policy, you will pay a 10% restocking charge plus the return shipping (which would be more than $100 here). I suppose you could just consider this "rental" for the use of the monitor...
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Giles, how did it go with the Dell 2408WFP???? There's a guy on this thread who I'm sure would like to know.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...807#post893807
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Giles, how did it go with the Dell 2408WFP???? There's a guy on this thread who I'm sure would like to know.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...807#post893807

indeed i would!

:)
Stick Tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Actually, I would too!!!

I'm strongly leaning towards getting a Mac Pro 8 core/Raid set-up and am wondering about getting a (second) Dell 2408WFP (I have one already as some of you know). My 4 year old Windows box with Vegas 7 will then get robbed of this 2408 and it's original "small" monitors returned to it as it will then become my back-up/emergency editing kit whilst I learn Final Cut Studio and how to use a Mac with Two Dell 2408WFP (I feel a big smile if I can pull this off!)....well that's the plan if I can arrange my finances to afford all this .....as I want a new Sony Z7 camcorder as well! (even bigger smile!)
Old June 17th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Actually, I would too!!!

I'm strongly leaning towards getting a Mac Pro 8 core/Raid set-up and am wondering about getting a (second) Dell 2408WFP (I have one already as some of you know). My 4 year old Windows box with Vegas 7 will then get robbed of this 2408 and it's original "small" monitors returned to it as it will then become my back-up/emergency editing kit whilst I learn Final Cut Studio and how to use a Mac with Two Dell 2408WFP (I feel a big smile if I can pull this off!)....well that's the plan if I can arrange my finances to afford all this .....as I want a new Sony Z7 camcorder as well! (even bigger smile!)
How have you found the 2408wfp? any problems? My finances have become slightly tighter so it looks like the ACD is off the cards for a while
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Dell 2408WFP is superb.....that's why I want another one!!!! It's only weakness is that component in looks a bit naff (see detail I put in one of the Dell 2408WFP threads about that.) It's a mid to top end computer monitor (in my price range that is!), well priced, well made and with tons of useful inputs. This Dell gives (in my opinion) much more natural flesh tones as the colour is more red than one typically sees on PC monitors (usually they are too blue/green). I've seen no ghosting or green tinges. It's also capable of being VERY bright if you have a strongly lit/multi-windowed (i.e. non-ideal) work environment. It's a GREAT monitor. What it's not is a broadcast monitor to be used for critical colour correction work...but hey its 422 quid you know! (and neither is the Apple Cinema Display for that matter, despite it's much higher price).

Only other thing I'd say is that I read somewhere (UK AV Forum I think, in the very long Dell Ultrasharp thread in their Monitor section) that Dell is going to sell them with a firmware revision in July (which is only a couple of weeks away). It might be worth finding out more about that (what exactly it is to fix - maybe it's to sharpen/fix the component in?) - maybe someone could e-mail Dell and see what they find out???

Edit: I found the post (in a thread about the Dell 2408 that's currently 207 posts long on AVForum!) Here's what one guy posted as a response from Dell.

"While the currently shipping Dell 2408WFP monitor meets both Dell and industry standard specifications, we have been closely listening to your feedback on the Dell Community Forum. Based on your comments, Dell is working to incorporate a number of improvements into the 2408WFP as a firmware update for new monitors scheduled to ship in mid-July. This firmware update features greater control over sharpness settings, improved power save recovery, and less input lag. Current 2408WFP owners whose specific usage scenario may benefit from the firmware update should contact Dell Technical Support after Mid July to receive the firmware update. If you have any questions please feel free to post them here or contact Dell Technical Support."

Taken from Dell official.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; June 17th, 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: adding quote from AV Forum
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Dell 2408WFP is superb.....that's why I want another one!!!! It's only weakness is that component in looks a bit naff (see detail I put in one of the Dell 2408WFP threads about that.) It's a mid to top end computer monitor (in my price range that is!), well priced, well made and with tons of useful inputs. This Dell gives (in my opinion) much more natural flesh tones as the colour is more red than one typically sees on PC monitors (usually they are too blue/green). I've seen no ghosting or green tinges. It's also capable of being VERY bright if you have a strongly lit/multi-windowed (i.e. non-ideal) work environment. It's a GREAT monitor. What it's not is a broadcast monitor to be used for critical colour correction work...but hey its 422 quid you know! (and neither is the Apple Cinema Display for that matter, despite it's much higher price).

Only other thing I'd say is that I read somewhere (UK AV Forum I think, in the very long Dell Ultrasharp thread in their Monitor section) that Dell is going to sell them with a firmware revision in July (which is only a couple of weeks away). It might be worth finding out more about that (what exactly it is to fix - maybe it's to sharpen/fix the component in?) - maybe someone could e-mail Dell and see what they find out???

Edit: I found the post (in a thread about the Dell 2408 that's currently 207 posts long on AVForum!) Here's what one guy posted as a response from Dell.

"While the currently shipping Dell 2408WFP monitor meets both Dell and industry standard specifications, we have been closely listening to your feedback on the Dell Community Forum. Based on your comments, Dell is working to incorporate a number of improvements into the 2408WFP as a firmware update for new monitors scheduled to ship in mid-July. This firmware update features greater control over sharpness settings, improved power save recovery, and less input lag. Current 2408WFP owners whose specific usage scenario may benefit from the firmware update should contact Dell Technical Support after Mid July to receive the firmware update. If you have any questions please feel free to post them here or contact Dell Technical Support."

Taken from Dell official.
Andy you legend! That's very helpful, thanks for your post :)

I'm going to go with the Dell but not sure if im going to wait until mid July to order one, especially if i can get the update from dell and run it.. not sure how i would update a monitor though?

Thanks again

Stick
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I think (BUT I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE) that you would have to return the monitor to Dell for Firmware update. It's not something that can be done by the end user. This is from someone's comments on AVForum (and he may be guessing, I really don't know). I'm probably going to wait until end of July before placing the order for this particular item - assuming I still want a second one then.

My first one will stay put - no way is it going back to Dell with risk of damage/swap with another one for a few minor firmware tweaks. I know mine's a good one/I'm very happy with it so will keep it.

Glad you're finding my stuff on this monitor useful - that's why I post it all but it's always nice to get the "thankyou" replies! Many on here have helped me in the past so this is my chance to "give something back" to this great community.

Edit: Also, see here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124025

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; June 18th, 2008 at 01:08 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite