DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Video quality in FCE

Hey guys,
I am working in Final Cut EXPRESS and shooting with a Canon XHA1 and recording in HDV 108060i. I am obviously capturing with the Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60 and then exporting in MP4 at 1280x720 for the web. My question is: what is the Apple Intermediate Codec? Is it the same codec and quality of HDV? I ask because, while editing and viewing the footage within FCE it looks very good with few motion artifacts, however when I export with quicktime conversion (MP4/5mbps) the video becomes fairly washed out with more motion artifacts. Would upgrading to Final Cut Pro give me a vast improvement by being able to capture in ProRes or some other format? Any insight or help would be appreciated, thanks!
-Steve
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

When using AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) at 1080/60i, the data rate is around 14MB/second (112Mb/second) which is much higher than HDV. The AIC is intended for editing, so it uses a higher data rate.

I've never seen the washout effect you have seen, but I haven't tried everything on FCE. Someone else will need to help you there...

Bob Diaz
Attached Thumbnails
Video quality in FCE-data_rates_aic.png  
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I see the same washed out problem. Adjust the gamma when you export to MP4. For some reason, it exports to a PC gamma.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest House View Post
I see the same washed out problem. Adjust the gamma when you export to MP4. For some reason, it exports to a PC gamma.
How should I go about adjusting the gamma? and to what to extent? Thanks.
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

What tool are you using to create your MP4? That's the first place to look.

There's a good discussion on the whole topic here:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/983595

I don't know if FCE has a gamma video filter but FCP does and I'd be surprised of FCE does not. So, push comes to shove, you can apply it on the timeline.

I apply the filter using Compressor. Squeeze has it. Cleaner has it. Quicktime lets you set one for .MOV but not MP4. I don't know what that thread's poster is referring to when he mentioned a QuickTime Preference for "Final Cut Pro compatibility".
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite