Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

media manager issue

good evening everyone,
I'm in the middle of copying projects to my external hard drive by way of the "dreaded media manager"!

It has worked fine for me up til this point, but I'm getting an error message in the middle of the transfer saying that it can't write 2 of the files.

I realized that the 2 files that were causing the error were part of a multiclip edit contained in one of the sequences. Is this a common problem and is there a workaround for this or am I just missing something obvious?? please advise

thanks,
brendan
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Trustee

the only obvious thing you're missing is that Media Manager sucks.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

haha Ethan. yeah, I should of known, I've read all the horror stories, but I have actually had success transferring a few smaller projects, but i guess no aspect of a piece of software is without it its quirks.

so what are my options?? how can I go about transferring this 28gb fcp project to my external drive? I tried to transfer my scratch folder, but that also gives me an error
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

What is the specific error? Sometimes MM errors out because the clip is no longer available or it's been moved from it's original location and needs to be reconnected in the project before MM can find and copy it.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Donohue View Post
how can I go about transferring this 28gb fcp project to my external drive? I tried to transfer my scratch folder, but that also gives me an error
thats a big clue right there that it might not be Media Manager. Could it be that your Mac up and decided that a few files were locked? I've had this happen once or twice in the past.

Can you reformat the drive? Maybe it's a drive issue?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

ethan, how do I know that if the files are locked and how do I unlock them? Like I said..I edited two seperate camera angles as a multiclip and it is those two files that media manager won't write to my external hd.

Yeah, the external hd is formatted as FAT32 because I use it for mac and pc. would reformatting the drive require me to back up and erase all the existing files already on it??

robert, I don't have the error in front of me at the moment, but I saved a screen shot of it on my computer at home, I'll get back to you later.
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Donohue View Post
Yeah, the external hd is formatted as FAT32 because I use it for mac and pc.
FAT-32 a big problem when a file exceeds 4GB or the file name is too long. Either one will cause the error you are seeing.

I always stay away from FAT-32 on a mac for digitizing media files. It causes nothing but problems.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite