Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 6th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Movie credits in Livetype and FCE

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could get some help here... I want to create some movie style (scrolling from the bottom) credits for a film me and my crew are finishing up, but I've never done this before. Is there an easy way to do this using Livetype and FCE?

I've heard of people doing it in iMovie, but not sure on the specifics of how. Thanks!

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hamilton View Post
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could get some help here... I want to create some movie style (scrolling from the bottom) credits for a film me and my crew are finishing up, but I've never done this before. Is there an easy way to do this using Livetype and FCE?

I've heard of people doing it in iMovie, but not sure on the specifics of how. Thanks!

Scott
It can be done using LiveType, but I use CHV-Electronics Text Collection, http://www.chv-plugins.com/cms/Fx-Sc...anchor=1010026

You get very good results with it. There are other options I'm sure, but this has worked well for me in FCE/FCP projects.
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

I've never use the CHV plug-ins but both FCP and FCE have scrolling text generators built-in, no need for third-party software.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
I've never use the CHV plug-ins but both FCP and FCE have scrolling text generators built-in, no need for third-party software.
Yes, that's correct, it's just that CHV plugins give you much more precise control over formating/placement and I've read often that the built-in text scrolls are blurry/jerky in motion.

But you are right, they both have them. I've been very happy with CHV text tools.
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Awesome guys. I'm still fairly new to the FC world, where can I find the scrolling text generators in FCE?

Scott
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Does anyone know where to find the scrolling text generator in FCE? If you can point me in the right direction I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks,

Scott
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Nevermind, just found it!
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #8
Major Player

One option is to make the credits in photoshop and save as a png, then drag it up the screen using the motion tab. I'd rather use the scrolling text generator in FCP but when you justify the text left or right, it cuts off the words unless you make them very small. Maybe there's a way around that issue, but I haven't found it.

"Talk is cheap unless you have a lot of audio toys"
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #9
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hamilton View Post
Hey guys,

Scott
Hey Scott,

By now you have probably found your answer to this, but I decided to post anyway in case you or others wanted to know what I do for credits. I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but to get a good scroll with a good central gutter, you know with the title of the person, a space or two, then their name, do this:

In the text entry area of the scrolling text generator, type:

Director*Joe Blow
Assistant Director*Marty Party

Jim Beam*Actorman Bigshot
Jane Doe*Skinny Minnie

The asterisk creates a perfect gutter each time. I usually play with the speed (command J) so that it's not too fast, and use the flicker filter as well.

Hope that helps!

Tom
Tom Stitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Major Player

Re: Movie credits in Livetype and FCE

Tom, where the heck have you been all this time. I have been searching and searching for methods to do this!!! Thank you so much. Your little tip just saved me a "whole lotta work!".

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite