DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #1
Major Player

I think I have a challenge.

I've go a project that involves video shot on three different cameras in four formats.

The first is mini-dv widescreen from an older camera.

The next is HD 720p

The third is HD 1080i.

The fourth is 1440 CBR

So, how to import them all into FCP 5.1? I'm guessing that, because of the SD video, I should use a NTSC anamorphic timeline. I'm not that well versed with HD formats yet, so I'm not quite sure how to manage the remaining three.

I've already discovered iMovie08 automatically scales all imports, but the "auto" part doesn't provide me information on what was done to make everything fit.

How would I import all of this video into FCP5.1?

Opinions gratefully appreciated.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I can't remember whether this was a new feature with fcp6 or not, but once you've captured the footage you should just be able to drop it into the timeline and final cut will ask you whether you want to modify the timeline to fit the footage or the other way round...

Something like that - i tend to use the timeline settings for my footage, so haven't done it for a while. It's pretty intuitive - try setting up your timeline and then dropping the footage in.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes if you have final cut studio 2 with version 6 you can mix formats on the same timeline, it will re-size all the clips to that of the first one.

Upgrade is £329 here in the Uk and it is well worth it as you also get colour their grading system.
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
So, how to import them all into FCP 5.1? I'm guessing that, because of the SD video, I should use a NTSC anamorphic timeline.
I think the question to ask is: what delivery format do you want to create? Base your sequence settings in FCP on that. Everything else is just the technical details of getting your footage placed on that timeline (through rendering into the desired format/codec, or with FCP6's new feature, as described by the other posters).

- Martin
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly View Post
I think the question to ask is: what delivery format do you want to create? Base your sequence settings in FCP on that. Everything else is just the technical details of getting your footage placed on that timeline (through rendering into the desired format/codec, or with FCP6's new feature, as described by the other posters).

- Martin
Delivery will be DVD. The NLE is FCP 5.1.
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Don't think you can do that

I think you need FCS2 and use the prores timeline settings. I mix stuff there all the time. I don't recall being able to do it with 5....
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Waldemar, As you are outputting to DVD the simplest solution (assuming you can not upgrade to FCS2) using your current workflow is to transcode your HD footage to Anamorphic NTSC before editing.

This is going to increase the project space required, and will limit you to an SD master, but in terms of workflow this is likely to be easiest (assuming everything has been shot at a 29.97/59.94 Frame Rate).

You can do this using compressor.

Once you have transcoded your footage to SD, simply drop on the timeline and cut as you would any other project.

If you just drop the footage on the timeline, it will require rendering, and ANY TIME you move it, place another clip over it etc, it will require rendering again.

FCS2 removes this problem if you've got a machine with good enough specs to handle the footage.

Personally, for editorial where you are going straight to the finished product I personally think transcoding shots before editing is almost always the better workflow - as otherwise your footage is going to have differing pixel aspect ratios on top of potentially really pushing most machines if it's a longer form project which doesn't make for the smoothest editing environment (especially with Dynamic Realtime playing back your footage in a variety of differing resolutions/quality settings for preview depending on machine grunt - this means to get a true idea of how things are looking you need to be rendering all the time anyway, a process I prefer to get out of the way at the beginning in one big hit for most jobs if possible.)
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite