DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 10th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Struggling with a Macbook (not Pro!)

Hey guys,
So I have been a modest and lowly DV shooter for a while now and I just recently bought an HDV cam (Canon XH-A1) and I been trying to edit HDV footage (on an AIC 60i timeline) in FCE on a white macbook (not pro) with a 2.0 ghz cpu and 2 gigs of ram with a USB capture-hardrive at 5400 rpm, while also asking the macbook to "drive" a Dell 24-inch monitor. So I'm sure that most of you are cringing at this point... however my question is: will a computer that is that slow, still be able to export simple short projects (2-6 minutes) properly? When I export .mov's or MP4's they seem to be of a much lower quality than I see on sites like exposure room or vimeo. Obviously, working with HDV on a macbook makes for very slow editing, but does it actually degrade the quality as well? Thanks for your help!
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It won't degrade any quality - will just take longer to render and export etc etc

How are you exporting your final video? Have you tried using compressor and some of the presets inside that. For my vimeo video i exported using h.264 in 1280x720 me thinks! It looks fine there!
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Good to know Jo. I have been exporting as an H.264 MP4 at 1280x720 and 5mbps. Take a look at this vid to see what i mean about loss of quality and blurriness: www.vimeo.com/1121358

-Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite