Why do QT videos look so low contrast? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Why do QT videos look so low contrast?

When I look at a video file in FCP and then view it straight in Quicktime, the QT viewer looks very low contrast and low saturation. This is on my newer Mac Pro on Dell monitors. On my MacBook Pro, I do not get this effect. I have noticed this on other Mac desktops too. I find the change to be huge, to the point that I think it looks bad. Does anybody know why this is happening?

Thanks,
Benjamin
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

No doubt, it is weird behavior but the fix is easy. In your prefs for QT you'll note a checkbox at the bottom that enables color-matching to FCP; turn this on and things will look better.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do QT videos look so low contrast?-picture-1.jpg  
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Good tip Robert - I'd ordinarily alter the contrast/brightness and colour (and aspect ratio) via QT's movie properties - it almost always looks washed out.
Mind you, I receive different images for each codec setting...some of the lower web codecs have better colour but awful/stuttering movement.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Major Player

^^ By the way - is that a recent amendment to QT? I don't seem to have that option on 7.4.5...little wary of updating Qt at the moment also.
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
^^ By the way - is that a recent amendment to QT? I don't seem to have that option on 7.4.5...little wary of updating Qt at the moment also.
You'll find it in QT 7.4 in QuickTime Player>Preferences... or by hitting 'cmd ,'
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
You'll find it in QT 7.4 in QuickTime Player>Preferences... or by hitting 'cmd ,'
I feel a little neglected here Liam...it's a hiding from me?!?
Attached Thumbnails
Why do QT videos look so low contrast?-picture-6.png  
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If memory serves me, you must have FCP6 installed to get this option
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Keck View Post
If memory serves me, you must have FCP6 installed to get this option
^^ That will explain it - i have version 5.

Cheers Mark.
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
^^ That will explain it - i have version 5.

Cheers Mark.
Sorry David, bowled you a wrongen' there!

Have a look in System Preferences, I seem to remember an option for color mapping there, though I could be wrong (as proved above).
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #10
Major Player

Robert,
You are a genius. Thanks.

If I am playing a QT file on a computer that does not have FCP will it look washed out?

B
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Sorry David, bowled you a wrongen' there!

Have a look in System Preferences, I seem to remember an option for color mapping there, though I could be wrong (as proved above).
No probs ol bean. I'll dig around, otherwise I'll stick with adjusting contrast/colour via Movie Props.

Quote:
If I am playing a QT file on a computer that does not have FCP will it look washed out?
When I adjust contrast and aspect ratio I'll save the file (in the same location) keeping the new adjustments permanent. I suspect that the same will apply with colour matching.
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #12
Go Go Godzilla

The main issue, of why QT desaturates colors during output from a FCP sequence is an odd one. Telestream's Episode Pro does not alter gamma/saturation and the original color space is retained. I've not ever seen an explanation as to why this behavior in QT exists and it's highly annoying.

I have verified however, that this lackluster de-saturated look does in fact port over the PC QT players; when booted in XP (bootcamp) the same QT video exhibits the same desaturated look.

I don't know of an all-encompassing workaround for this other than manually compensating (which absolutely shouldn't be required) or, using another encoder for the job.

At some point I'd like Apple to wake up from it's iPhone hang-over and get back to work on better supporting their pro-apps and figure out all these annoying and sometimes crippling behaviors.
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #13

washed out looking images are so so typically the result of adding setup once in the render, then the player adds setup again. Jeez, there's so many apportunities in the render process to screw up the pedestal/setup, it could be a million things. Best of luck, but, I would sure like to know if you added setup/pedestal in the basic render.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #14
Go Go Godzilla

Unless you manually change the rendering codec for the timeline from it's default setting (which would be the editing codec) I don't see how setup could be introduced during the render process. Most people don't even know about being able to change the render to a completely different codec than the timeline. It's most certainly a QT engine issue because as I say, Episode Pro does not change the color rendition at final output.
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Most people don't even know about being able to change the render to a completely different codec than the timeline. I
I think most people know that. I think most people struggle with color management and by most people I include software and hardware designers not just the great unwashed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite