Premiere 6.5 mac / captured audio sections missing /G4 400 meg at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere 6.5 mac / captured audio sections missing /G4 400 meg

I keep getting a few words missing in a speech I captured. Is it my slow processor? I haven't encoded yet or compressed it though. Is there something I didn't change in settings?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Bill
Bill Furner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 06:26 AM   #2
Warden

It could be the slow processor or amount of ram. How much ram do you have? What OS are you using

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 09:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

missing audio

To: Jeff

I am using 9.2 and OS X 10.2.6

In either the audio misses words from a speech I recorded. I have 384 megs of ram.

Thanks for posting!

Bill
Old July 23rd, 2003, 09:27 AM   #4
Warden

I'm assuming you can hear the audio if you monitor it with headphones or play it back on the TV. If you can hear the audio, then try allocating more ram to Premiere in OS 9.x.x Use Apple Key and I key together and the info window will appear (Highlight Premiere App icon by selecting it first). Go to Memory and increase memory, try doubling it, then start the application. You can't do that while the Premiere is open.

Does it always drop out in the same spot? If it does it may be a problem with the tape. If the drop out changes it is probably a memory issue.

Are you using a laptop or desktop?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 23rd, 2003, 09:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

be precise

your post isn't precise enough for people to really help. assuming the original tape is fine and it is the capture that is a problem then make sure your drive is defragmented, that you have a gig of RAM, and that you have virtual memory turned off (assuming you are using OS9 with that machine). more detailed information within questions is helpful.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 09:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

missing audio

Thanks Jeff and Bud

These are helpful suggestions. I have a G4 Desktop.
I will be more observant with checking out just the feed from the camcorder into the TV to see if the audio is dropping. I think that it is happening just in the timeline but I am not sure. I don't have time to do it right now but later in the day I will be able to and I will post my results. Very interesting in regards to doubling up on the memory in the info I've done that before but it didn't dawn on me to do it for video editing. Sounds logical.
"Does it always drop out in the same spot? If it does it may be a problem with the tape. If the drop out changes it is probably a memory issue".
Ya, interesting. I give it a try when I get back.

To: Bud

I don't have a gig of ram, only 384 megs of ram. I didn't think you needed that much. Virtual memory is turned off. I just bought a brand new 120 gig hardrive and that is were I installed the application and that were the scratch disk is.

Thanks again, got to go. Great tips!

Bill
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:41 AM   #7
Warden

OS X does not like the application moved from the application folder. The application folder should be on the main system drive. Try moving the app back, for better performance you might need to delete the app and reinstall Premiere from the disk.

Old July 23rd, 2003, 04:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

but it does it in os 9 as well

To: Jeff

I don't think that would be the problem would it if I have the same problem in os 9.2?

Bill
Old July 23rd, 2003, 07:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

fixed it I think

Jeff

When I doubled the memory, I stopped having that missing audio.

Thanks much, I think that did the trick!

Bill
Bill Furner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite