FCP ... quits! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 18th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP ... quits!

Yesterday when I was exporting a video from FCP (File, Export, Quicktime Movie), FCP just disappeared. It was like it was never open. "That's odd," I said to myself, reopening the file. I tried again. Again it did it. I was gett flustered, and tried 'Using Quicktime Conversion.' Ditto. Everything was making FCP just stop. Even after restarting, it kept doing it.

A guy from the NET department out here knew to dump some of my pref's, but my question is what CAUSED that to start? Was it something I did? Can it be avoided? I wasted about an hour trying to figure it out.
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There's probably about a million different things that could've resulted with the FCP crash. It happens. It's not a perfect program. Make sure you have plenty of available RAM during the export. The preferences dumping is the correct thing to do if it does crash like that, because most likely it will continue to crash if the preferences file is corrupt.
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Alex,

I say this all the time, but there are two apps that will keep your system from events like this:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/index_us.html

http://www.alsoft.com

Run all the routines in Onyx, boot from the DW disk (or create one when you download the app) and run both of these at least once every 2-4 weeks and chances are you'll never have things like this happen again.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Here's a link to trashing FCP preferences.

Trashing Prefs

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite