DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

maximize PD190, ibookG4 and codecs

Camera: PD190 (the china version of PD170)

computer: ibookG4, FCP 5.06, Toast 6 titanium for making DVD. 768 Ram

codecs: ??

------------------------
hi all,

I have been shooting recently with the china version of the PD170, known as PD190 in china.

Frankly speaking, i am sure i am doing something not right.

anyway, here is what i did.

1) I shot in pd190, in the format that allows me 60mins of footage on miniDV tapes. (should i use the format that only allows 40mins of footage on a 60mins tape for better video?)

2) I import from camera via firewire port on my ibook g4 (is this where good codecs and bad codecs kick in? i heard some people buys special firewire card to import with the better codecs)

3) I edit in FCP 5 in avi format.

4) When i am ready to export, somehow I cant get the compressor to work...or rather I am not sure which option bring the best out of my edited video. I did an option 60min quality DVD and they gave me 2 files. 1 video and 1 sound. then I would have to burn both fles in. it really takes hell a long time with what i am using but i am willing to wait if quality is good. but from the product of what i chose, i believe i could do better.

5) i tried to export a quicktime file and burn the quicktime file into a DVD straight. The quality is ok but I am sure uts not the best.

What could I have done instead?
Ong Wan Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong Wan Shu View Post
1) I shot in pd190, in the format that allows me 60mins of footage on miniDV tapes. (should i use the format that only allows 40mins of footage on a 60mins tape for better video?)
Hi Ong,

The quality of the video will be exactly the same for both 60 minute (DV SP) and 40 minute (DVCAM) recordings. However Sony claims that the DVCAM mode is more robust; in other words, it's less likely to have some kind of "glitch" on the tape. This might be true, but there doesn't seem to be much proof of it. But either way, you are recording the exact same digital data.

Quote:
2) I import from camera via firewire port on my ibook g4 (is this where good codecs and bad codecs kick in? i heard some people buys special firewire card to import with the better codecs)
Firewire is just a data transfer system, it has nothing to do with codecs. It either works or it doesn't. The builtin firewire port is fine, and since you have an iBook there's no way to use a card anyway.

Quote:
3) I edit in FCP 5 in avi format.
This could be a problem since avi is a windows format (or maybe I'm just not understanding - sorry). How are you capturing the video? Start up Final Cut Pro and close any projects which are open. Under the Final Cut Pro Menu, choose Easy Setup. Do you use the NTSC or PAL system? Depending on which you use, pick either DV-NTSC or DV-PAL from the menu. Are you shooting in the widescreen (16:9) mode on your PD-190? If so then you would choose either DV-NTSC Anamorphic or DV-PAL Anamorphic.

Now start a new project and import the footage from your camera using firewire. Everything should now be configured properly in all your sequences and clips.

I'm going to leave the rest to someone else, because Compressor always confuses me too!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am doing exactly what you did.

however, i think my output just do not look as nice as other people's DVD.

it just does not look that sharp and seems it lost some resolution.

i know i can do better but i dunno why I am doing wrong.
Ong Wan Shu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite