DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 25th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Final Cut Express Capture Problem

I'm supposed to start editing our no-budget indi-flick that's shot on the xha1 in 24f, but it's not capturing properly through Final Cut Express. I have it set up for hdv 1080i60 (no 24 frames in Express).

Every time I try to capture the footage, no-matter which tape I use, the preview is super-choppy and then pauses about 15 minutes into the capture (I'm not sure if the actual capture continues, but the tape keep playing through the camcorder). When it finally reaches the end of the tape, or if I stop it, Final Cut becomes unresponsive and I have to restart the computer.

The capture files are on the computer, but even a tape with 30 minutes worth of footage ends up splitting into about 50 individual video files, all with the audio out of sync.

It does the same thing if I try capturing the tapes through my hv20.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? If not, any recommendations for dedicated capturing programs? I'm in a bit of a hurry to piece together a teaser.
Dustin Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Sims View Post
I'm supposed to start editing our no-budget indi-flick that's shot on the xha1 in 24f, but it's not capturing properly through Final Cut Express. I have it set up for hdv 1080i60 (no 24 frames in Express).

Every time I try to capture the footage, no-matter which tape I use, the preview is super-choppy and then pauses about 15 minutes into the capture (I'm not sure if the actual capture continues, but the tape keep playing through the camcorder). When it finally reaches the end of the tape, or if I stop it, Final Cut becomes unresponsive and I have to restart the computer.

The capture files are on the computer, but even a tape with 30 minutes worth of footage ends up splitting into about 50 individual video files, all with the audio out of sync.

It does the same thing if I try capturing the tapes through my hv20.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? If not, any recommendations for dedicated capturing programs? I'm in a bit of a hurry to piece together a teaser.
What version of FCE are you running? At the time (a bit more than a year ago), I was using FCE 3.5.1 and it didn't support 24fps from the XH A1. It only supported 30fps, dropped in a 60i timeline. That was the reason for me to upgrade to FCS.
I'm quite surprised that you can even capture the 24f footage into a 60i timeline. In any case, I think results would be very questionable as the timing is not compatible. That's why the audio is out of sync in your clips.

With the HV20 it's the same thing if you play back tapes that were recorded on a XH A1. The HV20 will then output true 24f, so you have the same problem. (However, if it's 24f shot with the HV20, it's actually embedded in 60i format so that would work.).

Short answer is it won't work with FCE (except if the new v4 version actually supports 24f). I'm not aware of an alternative capture method.

Dino
Dino Leone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Leone View Post
What version of FCE are you running? At the time (a bit more than a year ago), I was using FCE 3.5.1 and it didn't support 24fps from the XH A1. It only supported 30fps, dropped in a 60i timeline. That was the reason for me to upgrade to FCS.
I'm quite surprised that you can even capture the 24f footage into a 60i timeline. In any case, I think results would be very questionable as the timing is not compatible. That's why the audio is out of sync in your clips.

With the HV20 it's the same thing if you play back tapes that were recorded on a XH A1. The HV20 will then output true 24f, so you have the same problem. (However, if it's 24f shot with the HV20, it's actually embedded in 60i format so that would work.).

Short answer is it won't work with FCE (except if the new v4 version actually supports 24f). I'm not aware of an alternative capture method.

Dino

Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I'll be using Vegas for this project.
Dustin Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite