Creating Trimmed Project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 26th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Creating Trimmed Project

I am trying to archive a bunch of projects off of my edit RAID and want to create trimmed projects using just the media that I used in the edit sequence. Media Manager does not seem to want to make it any smaller. Does anyone have a tip for how to do this?

Thanks,
Benjamin
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm not entirely sure what the question is? Do you want to make timelines with just clips of the original media plus handles if you need to make any minor adjustments later while removing the capture scratch data you need, or do you want to make smaller file sizes, or do you want to just export a sequence of the original media but as a master quicktime?
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Major Player

I want to create a trimmed project that uses just the media that was in the edit sequences (with handles) but discards the media that may be in bins but was never used in the edit. For instance if the final edit is 5 minutes but there is 2 hours of footage in the bins, the trimmed project should be a little bit more than 5 minutes of media.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Major Player

try: uncheck 'include master clips outside selection' and check 'delete unused media from duplicated items'. just make sure 'copy' media referenced and 'place into new project' are also selected.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #5
Major Player

oh yeah, make sure that only the sequence(s) you want is highlighted in the browser, along with any other graphics or audio you may need later. i usually also include a b-roll sequence of good takes or footage, just in case...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Major Player

ha! one more thing! i just backed up a project as above, and the 'copy' project has clips in the sequences with messed up in/out points, filters, and motion effects, as well as missing media from one clip. i'm manually correcting all right now. pain in the butt. So the one more thing is: check the archived project BEFORE deleting the original!!!
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite