DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 26th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Outputting my Canon 24F to MiniDV for BetaSP Dub in FCP

Hello.

So I am green w/ analog tapes, decks etc and am concerned about a few thing regarding my transfer.. my main concern is sync.. also keeping the 24F look, that it was recorded at if I have to convert to 29.97.

I know that I also have to print to tape with 7.5 IRE black.. this can be done w/FCP, then I don't have to worry about this anymore.. I believe.. ?

So.. If anyone w/ experience on this could help I would be much appreciated..

Should I convert my Canon 24p1080 timeline to 29.97 somehow and then print to miniDV using the IRE7.5 option? What is the best way to convert if I need to change to 29.97?

Also.. Drop-frame or not? and the miniDV and betaSP decks.. any settings I need to be aware of? Got access to this gear but unfortunately I am young and digital.

Thanks
Chris Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Not enough info Chris. What is your output from? Do you have a device like an AJA Io or Blackmagic? If so, which deck are you recording to (brand, model number)? Lastly, how are you getting your signal there (component, composite, SDI/AES, S-Video)? Deck Control?
For signal degradation always use the highest first. For BetaSP it is component input, for MiniDV/DVCAM it is SDI/AES- Can you output via these pathways?
These questions need to be addressed before I can asses.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris,

Thanks for the fast reply. The gear I have related to this project is:

Apple iMac w/FCP6
Sony HVR M15U HDV Deck
Canon XH-A1 HDV Camera

There gear I have access to unfortunately I don't know the makes yet, however apparently there is miniDV to BetaSP decks already there and wired up, ready for copying. I intend to output miniDV via component cables to the beta SP deck.

Hope this is enough information...

Thanks again

Chris
Chris Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Component = Analog. Keep in mind for BetaSP you have no choice - it must be analog but for MiniDV you can keep that digital if you use your Firewire cable and XH-A1 as a deck.

The best possible solution is HD-SDI with live downconvert to SD-SDI into your MiniDV deck. Doesn't your Sony HVR deck also support MiniDV downconverting?

OK - For the BetaSP: In FCP always play bars first to set your analog levels (hold record button and play through and set the levels). Then insure your setup has the capability to output component - I reread your list and still don't see how you'll get component out to the BetaSP deck. Well, maybe if you used your Sony HVR to downconvert.

So again - BetaSP = Component YRB & XLR (analog audio).
- MiniDV = SDI/AES (or SDI audio) If you can't go digital - use firewire on XH-A1

For both of these sources make sure you have Deck Control (9 pin serial connection) so you can use FCP to black encode your sources, then Assemble edit your sequences.

It is a standard to start your program at the 01:00:00:00 TC mark. So, black encode first, then set your in on "Edit To Tape" function (Under file, just below Print to Video) tool and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Cool. Thanks. Can I print to tape right to my Canon? Was gonna check the manual about this I wasn't sure... I know I can obviously capture from it, was just curious about the other way around.. like FCP->Canon. Was planning on just going from FCP to the Sony Deck.. then pulling the tape out of that and using it as a master to the Beta SP. Just remembered.. the deck at this studio that is hooked up to the BetaSP recorder is only DV, not HDV. I'd rather not bother bringing my deck in and re-patching things there, but I will if necessary. I think I can downconvert with the sony.. I will see, havent had to use it for that yet. Most likely the audio will be unbalanced lines..I guess.. and I dont have one of the sdi units unfortunately..

My main concern once this is all out of the way, is the framerate being canons 24f, and if i should just convert to 29.97, then, keeping everything in sync along the chain.

I really appreciate the help

Regards

Chris
Chris Sweet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite