Fixing Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 26th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fixing Audio

I don't know if this should be in this forum or not. I interviewed a bride and groom using an HDR- HC3 camera. It was done outside and the audio sounds airy. Not wind but like a background noise. Is there an audio filter in FCS2 to help fix this?
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Graphic EQ

Try the graphic EQ in audio filters

Effects, Audio Filters, AU Graphic EQ

This gives you a good starting point.

I did use the dynamic headroom something filter once to fix this but it is really easy to make it worse. There should be someone responding with more depth soon. Good luck.

Sometimes finding that perfect soundproof room is just impossible. I know how it is!
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've never heard of any way to do this through Final Cut Pro, but I know that if you export your audio to Soundtrack Pro, you can identify an area where ONLY the background noise is audible (i.e. when the interviewer/interviewee are NOT talking) (the longer this segment is, the better) then go to Process -> Noise Reduction -> Set Noise Print in order to tell Soundtrack Pro the noise that you would like to get rid of. While still having only the small portion of background noise audible, I like to go to Process -> Noise Reduction -> Reduce Noise and adjust the settings until the noise isn't very audible. Then, I would make a note of the settings you used, and deselect that portion of audio in order to have the entire stream selected. Once the whole thing is selected, then I would go back to Process -> Noise Reduction -> Reduce Noise and start with the same settings that you used before. It is very likely that you'll have to fiddle with them in order for the interviewer/interviewee to be heard.

I hope this is a start! I'm not sure of how generally well accepted this feature of Soundtrack Pro is, but I know that I've used it a few times in the past and gotten acceptable results to my ears, then again, I'm no sound engineer!

I would also try posting this question in the audio forum instead, you're going to get much more elaborate and helpful answers from some EXTREMELY knowledgeable people!

Good luck!
Glenn Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I'll try them both out and let you know what comes of it.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite