DV Info Net

DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCS 2 and upgrade to leopard problem (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/124782-fcs-2-upgrade-leopard-problem.html)

Neil Rostance June 27th, 2008 04:53 AM

FCS 2 and upgrade to leopard problem
 
Hello!

I've just searched around for this problem so apologies for cross posting.

I've just upgraded to Leopard on Mac Pro with Final Cut Studio 2. Clean install and a formatted hard-drive. All of my project files safely stored on a bunch of external HD's.

I knew there would be some glitches along the way, but after installing FCS 2 on Leopard I can't open ANY projects created using Tiger. As FCP opens up the project file it hangs and shows error message...

"File's format is too new for this version of the application"

I think I remember Tim Dashwood talking about this problem but can't find the thread unfortunately. Surely if anything the file format is too OLD for this version? Is there any way of accessing the projects??

Many thanks in advance.

Neil

Mike Barber June 27th, 2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Rostance (Post 899570)
after installing FCS 2 on Leopard I can't open ANY projects created using Tiger. As FCP opens up the project file it hangs and shows error message...

"File's format is too new for this version of the application"

With which version (x.x.x) of FCP was the project(s) created? What version (x.x.x) do you have now?

You are probably realizing this now, but conventional wisdom is to never upgrade in the midst of a project.

Boyd Ostroff June 27th, 2008 11:03 AM

Hmm, I just upgraded to FCS2 (from FCP5.0x) under leopard and no problems opening old files (so far). I believe I've seen the advice of trashing your FCP preference file to correct the bogus "too new" error message.

I don't know if it would help, but just this morning software update informed me of new versions of some of the FCS components. Haven't installed them yet here though.

Don Sullivan June 27th, 2008 08:38 PM

Take a look at the actual version number on your release of Final Cut Pro installed on the HD. If it's not 7.0.4 which is the current release try running software update a few times. I ran into this recently after a rebuild of my MacBook Pro and I forgot to run software update after the FCS install to get to the current release and got a similar error message.

Neil Rostance June 28th, 2008 05:43 AM

That's all fine advice. I installed FCP6 but was running the last project on v6.0.3. I haven't yet ran full softaware update. That's more than likely where the "too new" problem is occurring as I've just jumped back a couple of months worth of updates in the new install for leopard.

I'd actually finished all my current projects in the knowledge that i was going to upgrade, and then to my ultimate joy the client has come back with more surprise amendments.

Thank you for the advice.

Boyd Ostroff June 28th, 2008 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Sullivan (Post 899919)
Take a look at the actual version number on your release of Final Cut Pro installed on the HD. If it's not 7.0.4 which is the current release try running software update a few times.

Hmm... do you perhaps mean 6.04? You had me thinking I missed a major upgrade! AFAIK, we are still at version 6 with FCP and the newest update is 6.04.

Don Sullivan June 28th, 2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 900056)
Hmm... do you perhaps mean 6.04? You had me thinking I missed a major upgrade! AFAIK, we are still at version 6 with FCP and the newest update is 6.04.

You are correct; typo on my part on the version number.

Mike Barber June 28th, 2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Rostance (Post 900052)
I installed FCP6 but was running the last project on v6.0.3. I haven't yet ran full softaware update.

These files were created/used in FCP 6.0.3., correct? With which version are you trying to open them (which version do you have now)?

Neil Rostance June 30th, 2008 06:32 AM

The project was created on 6.0.3 and then re-opened on a clean install taking it back to 6.0.

Just running the 6.0.4 update install now and hopefully this should sort the problem out.

Many thanks for the fine advice.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2018 The Digital Video Information Network