Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCS 2 and upgrade to leopard problem

Hello!

I've just searched around for this problem so apologies for cross posting.

I've just upgraded to Leopard on Mac Pro with Final Cut Studio 2. Clean install and a formatted hard-drive. All of my project files safely stored on a bunch of external HD's.

I knew there would be some glitches along the way, but after installing FCS 2 on Leopard I can't open ANY projects created using Tiger. As FCP opens up the project file it hangs and shows error message...

"File's format is too new for this version of the application"

I think I remember Tim Dashwood talking about this problem but can't find the thread unfortunately. Surely if anything the file format is too OLD for this version? Is there any way of accessing the projects??

Many thanks in advance.

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Rostance View Post
after installing FCS 2 on Leopard I can't open ANY projects created using Tiger. As FCP opens up the project file it hangs and shows error message...

"File's format is too new for this version of the application"
With which version (x.x.x) of FCP was the project(s) created? What version (x.x.x) do you have now?

You are probably realizing this now, but conventional wisdom is to never upgrade in the midst of a project.
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hmm, I just upgraded to FCS2 (from FCP5.0x) under leopard and no problems opening old files (so far). I believe I've seen the advice of trashing your FCP preference file to correct the bogus "too new" error message.

I don't know if it would help, but just this morning software update informed me of new versions of some of the FCS components. Haven't installed them yet here though.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #4
New Boot

Take a look at the actual version number on your release of Final Cut Pro installed on the HD. If it's not 7.0.4 which is the current release try running software update a few times. I ran into this recently after a rebuild of my MacBook Pro and I forgot to run software update after the FCS install to get to the current release and got a similar error message.
Don Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

That's all fine advice. I installed FCP6 but was running the last project on v6.0.3. I haven't yet ran full softaware update. That's more than likely where the "too new" problem is occurring as I've just jumped back a couple of months worth of updates in the new install for leopard.

I'd actually finished all my current projects in the knowledge that i was going to upgrade, and then to my ultimate joy the client has come back with more surprise amendments.

Thank you for the advice.
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Sullivan View Post
Take a look at the actual version number on your release of Final Cut Pro installed on the HD. If it's not 7.0.4 which is the current release try running software update a few times.
Hmm... do you perhaps mean 6.04? You had me thinking I missed a major upgrade! AFAIK, we are still at version 6 with FCP and the newest update is 6.04.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Hmm... do you perhaps mean 6.04? You had me thinking I missed a major upgrade! AFAIK, we are still at version 6 with FCP and the newest update is 6.04.
You are correct; typo on my part on the version number.
Don Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Rostance View Post
I installed FCP6 but was running the last project on v6.0.3. I haven't yet ran full softaware update.
These files were created/used in FCP 6.0.3., correct? With which version are you trying to open them (which version do you have now)?
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The project was created on 6.0.3 and then re-opened on a clean install taking it back to 6.0.

Just running the 6.0.4 update install now and hopefully this should sort the problem out.

Many thanks for the fine advice.
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite