DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Adobe or FCP

I bought a MacBook Pro yesterday. I also bought FCP but I haven't opened or installed it. I used to hate Premier back in the day but I have been teaching it for years now and I think that now that they've made improvements over they years the Adobe products can do just about anything. Since I am already VERY accustomed to the work flow and I already own Adobe (so I can save $$$ by just upgrading) I'm thinking of going with Adobe for the Mac.

I considered running Windows XP and upgrading Adobe but I decided against that. When I loaded Windows and saw it on the Mac I felt like I had killed the Mac. :)

Any thoughts on why I may want to keep FCP over PremierCS3 ?

Most of my work is weddings and training videos. Most effects are color correction and slo-mo.

-Don B.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bazley View Post
Since I am already VERY accustomed to the work flow and I already own Adobe
I think your answer is in there.

I'm not familiar with Premier, but similarly to the "Avid vs. Final Cut" argument it really comes down to which is the best tool for you?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input. I think that all the editors have progressed so much (I started on Avid in early '90s) that they are all pretty similar now and it mostly depends what you'r comfortable with. I was just curious if there were any specific reasons I'd want FCP over CS3.

I hope you are enjoying Jazz Fest. I love Montreal. Merci.

-Don B.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Major Player

I suggest you read this thread on the DVdoctor Mac forum. The trouble is: (as you say yourself) you're familiar with the Adobe workflow... so why don't you just use a PC?

(BTW: In case anyone thinks I'm Mac-bashing: I'm not - I'm actually a Mac-fan and Mac-user, but I also believe in using what you know, and not repeating others' mistakes.)
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

You'd be much better off staying with the Adobe products because of your experience with them and, purchasing FCS2 would be re-inventing the wheel with regard to the learning curve.

Plus, the PP CS3 apps are integrated between each other much more intuitively than FCS2 is currently (something we hope will change with FCS3) and PP CS3 will handle the type of work you do perfectly.

The only reason (for you) to consider FCS2 would be if you were entering into the broadcast/film/commercial markets and needed to interface with other FCP editors or have access to more professional codecs than PP CS3 currently handles.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input everyone. The points Robert makes are sort of where I'm coming from. HOWEVER... the link that Martin posted really has me wondering.

I only wanted a Mac for (supposed) better performance/reliability (no intention of platform rants here). I'm on the fence. If FCP truly runs much better on a Mac than Premier will, I may keep the FCP and deal with some learning. I've never had a problem with Encore and I actually have come to like the menu layout functions of it.

I'm headed out for a few days and I'll check back for other posts on Monday. Thanks for the input so far.

-Don

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite