DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCE exporting in different formats

Hey guys, I am completing a film and want to be able to burn it to DVD with Pro Studio markers in Final Cut Express, so that when I go to iDVD with it I can have scene selection (the film is about 50 min long). Here is my problem

The film was edited on a PC with Pinnacle which by default captures and exports in AVI. I made the movie into 4 sections (4 AVI files on the PC), and put them in FCE on my mac, so that we could burn the DVD with the Pro Studio Markers. This is fine because FCE can use AVI files. But when you do export>quicktime conversion>AVI, I don't see option that will allow you to export with pro studio markers. I tried making a version from the mac with the basic file>export>quicktime movie option, which lets you include the markers, but something is different. I guess going from AVI to .mov reduced the quality.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Scott

Last edited by Scott Hamilton; July 7th, 2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

iDVD

Well, I hope you got your answer in a year.

not sure if this will help, but this is what I am doing. Set up your chapter markers in FCE where ever you want them. Make sure to edit the marker (Markers/ edit/ chapter marker) so that it is a real chapter marker.

In iDVD, if you use the magic DVD option it will actually pic up the chapter markers and make scene selection menus. From there if you want you can edit the all the menus to make it more or less your creative work.

this does work.
Tobin Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hamilton View Post
I made the movie into 4 sections (4 AVI files on the PC), and put them in FCE on my mac, so that we could burn the DVD with the Pro Studio Markers.
Are you certain iDVD support reading DVD Studio Pro markers? I don't use FCE or iDVD, so I am not certain on what support either has for these.

Quote:
But when you do export>quicktime conversion>AVI, I don't see option that will allow you to export with pro studio markers.
AFAIK, this type of export will not retain Markers; I am under the impression that you need to use the following method...

Quote:
I tried making a version from the mac with the basic file>export>quicktime movie option, which lets you include the markers, but something is different. I guess going from AVI to .mov reduced the quality.
Quality should not be changed as AVI and MOV are only wrapper formates. Check the codec of your source (AVI) files and your Sequence settings to make sure they match.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite