DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Click noise between clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/125954-click-noise-between-clips.html)

Steve Lewis July 14th, 2008 08:44 PM

Click noise between clips

When I play my timeline (in FCP 6), I hear a little click noise between each cut or clip in the timeline. Is this normal, will the click noise be in my final exported file?
-Steve

Bill Ravens July 14th, 2008 09:08 PM

One way to eliminate the click is to put a very short(less than 1 sec) fade at the beginning and end of the mating clips.

Steve Lewis July 14th, 2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 907383)
One way to eliminate the click is to put a very short(less than 1 sec) fade at the beginning and end of the mating clips.

Thanks Bill,
But will that noise always be there whenever i work in FCP? Seems kinda odd.
-Steve

Steve Lewis July 15th, 2008 05:07 PM

Anyone have some more info on this? Or do i just simply have to add a .5 second audio fade between EVERY clip from now until eternity!?!?! Thanks for any insight!
-Steve

William Hohauser July 15th, 2008 07:25 PM

No you don't.

It has to do with the audio on that particular footage. Certain background noise will cause a "pop" on hard cuts. Clean audio, voice tracks for example, will almost never pop on cuts. I can cut down music tracks and not get a pop.

A very brief audio transition (3 to 10 frames) will eliminate pops on cuts when needed.

Steve Lewis July 15th, 2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 907887)
Certain background noise will cause a "pop" on hard cuts. Clean audio, voice tracks for example, will almost never pop on cuts.

Good to know, thanks William. By clean, do you mean audio that has NO loud or grumbling background noise? The "pop" just so happens to be present between footage that was shot on a loud boat with twin engines that never stopped making noise. That would explain the pops then?!
-Steve

Josh Bass July 15th, 2008 11:15 PM

In Vegas there is an option to automatically put a "micro-fade" at the head and tail of all your clips. Does FCP have anything like this?

William Hohauser July 16th, 2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Lewis (Post 907931)
Good to know, thanks William. By clean, do you mean audio that has NO loud or grumbling background noise? The "pop" just so happens to be present between footage that was shot on a loud boat with twin engines that never stopped making noise. That would explain the pops then?!
-Steve

That's exactly the sort of sound that would do this.

If someone has made a "micro-fade" audio plug-in for FCP, I haven't heard of it.

Phil Kay July 16th, 2008 12:01 PM

That's what I do in FCE - if there are any pops or clicks I put in a 'manual micro fade'.

Shaun Roemich July 16th, 2008 01:40 PM

I'll assume you are using consumer DV footage. Due to the non-locked nature of DV (versus DVCam or DVCPro or JVC's ProDV) audio, occasionally there are "pops" in the audio when clips are butt ended together due to mathematical errors and "overages" in the clip bit allocation. The very brief audio cross fade will take care of this or space JUST the audio 1 frame apart rather than "butt ending" clips.

Bill Ravens July 16th, 2008 05:19 PM

If you expand the waveform until you see the wave cross the x-axis of the plot and cut at the crossing point, you'll minimize the chances for a click.

Steve Lewis July 16th, 2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 908272)
I'll assume you are using consumer DV footage.

Hi Shaun,
It's actually HDV footage, thanks for that info. Thanks to everyone else in this thread too, your help is invaluable as always on this forum!
-Steve