FCP issues with 24pA footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP issues with 24pA footage

I've tried searching for an answer to my question both here and other websites and I can't seem to find anything addressing my specific problem.

I have shot a great deal of footage in 24pA on a DVX-100a and I am capturing it into Final Cut 6 with advanced pulldown. Final Cut is repeatedly, albeit not always, confusing the footage as 29.97 fps therefore making the footage look awful and the audio being way off.

I read that when capturing, if FCP notices time code breaks it will default into capturing as 29.97 and mess up the capture. I've tried capturing in small pieces to avoid this but it won't make a difference.

The strange part is, the footage is 23.98 if I open it in Quicktime or Cinema Tools, but if I import into FCP it's reading it as 29.97 again regardless.

While I'm at it, final cut seems to be really finicky with the captures. I manually set the time code in the camera at the beginning of each tape, and there are no time code breaks in the tape, but final cut will experience them regardless.

Does anyone have suggestions or know what is going wrong? Any workarounds? Like I said it isn't happening all the time, I'd say 80% of the tapes are coming out fine. It's extremely frustrating. Thanks in advance.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

What are your capture-settings for the project? Do they match the frame-rate/aspect you shot in?

Check out the posts from Barry Green; he is the 24PA master for both DVX100/HVX200.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Better than Halle Berry

Try capturing in smaller chunks as well.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Trustee

FCP 24PA capture is buggy. used to work perfect. best thing is to load as 29.97 then use cinema tools to strip out the extra frames. ugly workaround, but it will get the job done. it will not recompress the frames when doing this, it will copy the original bits so its a lossless process
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite