DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Trimming the FCS bloat. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/126451-trimming-fcs-bloat.html)

Justin Benn July 22nd, 2008 01:44 PM

Trimming the FCS bloat.

Hi,

My HD is filling up rapidly and I would like to find ways of trimming unused material on it. I read that FCS has an inordinate amount of 'bloat' in programmes like Soundtrack Pro), so to speak, in terms of samples and such like.

Can anyone recommend a safe way to remove such files (I am pretty sure that I have never used them) such that they don't destroy one's current edits? I can't find the post on here that mentioned it a while back (on the EX forum strangely, I think).

Many thanks in advance,

Jus.

Robert Lane July 22nd, 2008 02:38 PM

I would not recommend changing the installed applications for Final Cut Studio especially in the middle of a project, you're only asking for trouble.

With respect to "bloat", that's probably a term used to describe the fact that as the newer, more modern apps have become more "drag-n-drop" friendly it requires a great deal more code to pull that off, not to mention the added human-interface goodies we'll all become accustomed to seeing.

FCS gives you the option during installation to *not* install applications you either don't use or don't want, but as I say it's not a good idea to try and de-install anything once it's installed.

If you're running out of room on your HDD then it's time to add more space, either in larger internals or external HDD's. Don't try monkey-ing around with the installed apps, you'll pay for it later in troubleshooting the problems that creates.

Justin Benn July 22nd, 2008 02:41 PM

Robert.

Yeah, I guessed as much. Looking for a solution 'now' rather than the proper one. Funny what desire does to reasoning.

Jus.

Noah Kadner July 22nd, 2008 04:43 PM

Well all of the Soundtrack Pro samples can be dumped without any issues and that's quite a few GB. To be safe I would suggest moving them to an external hard drive. That way if anything screws up you can put them right back. Just take notes of where things came from. And move by folder not file.

Noah

Justin Benn July 22nd, 2008 05:04 PM

Location?

Noah,

Where are those generally located?

Jus.

Steve Oakley July 22nd, 2008 06:34 PM

right, all the sound track pro samples can be dumped **IF** you are not using them in a project. this can eat up 8gigs of space or more

you can also dump the DVD SP template media. for example, if you are NTSC, do a search for PAL and you'll find all the PAL clips DVD SP installs. thats worth a gig or two. in fact most of the DVD SP media files are so hokey anyways they are just a waste of space as I don't think very many people every use them at all.

same for motion as well.

just use the search to find the stuff.

David W. Jones July 23rd, 2008 06:40 AM

IMHO it would make more sense to purchase an inexpensive firewire external hard drive for use with your video files, rather than clearing apps and related files on your boot drive.

Jiri Fiala August 2nd, 2008 10:01 AM

LiveType, motion and soundtrack assets (samples, templates...) take up nearly 40 gigs of disk space, and you can remove them at will.

Cole McDonald August 2nd, 2008 10:36 PM

If you've been doing a bunch of projects on your main hard drive, all that footage is in there. I would recommend moving the projects into individual project folders each with their own scratch disk folders (capture scratch, audio renders and renders). Then move the footage from your Final Cut Pro Documents > Capture Scratch folder to the newly created heirarchy and remove the old stuff on the main hard drive after verifying your copy.

I actually just got done dealing with exactly this issue with someone else.

Mathieu Ghekiere August 3rd, 2008 04:27 AM

A basic installation of just the FCS programs is about 3 a 4 GB.
A complete installation with all the samples, templates, fonts, etc. is about 55 GB. So yeah, there is a difference, depending if you did a complete installation or not.