When I set video compression to none, why do I get electrical fuzziness? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 31st, 2003, 08:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

When I set video compression to none, why do I get electrical fuzziness?

I have been working and working trying to get the very best encoding on a
project, but can't get nice encoding in Adobe Premiere no matter how hard I
try. I have a bunch of photos and I put them in Bryce and slid these pictures across the water, I have one picture pop up and eventually my companies name and url etc. Plus, I added a tune to it as well.

So I am thiinking to my self, I have achieved nirvanna :) it came out nice and
clear, at least for an amature. But my terribly frustrating problem is that in
Bryce when it is saved as a movie it seems ok, no (electrical fuzziness). But in
Adobe Premiere when I export the work area timeline with title added,
slowness added etc., I get that DREADED electrical fuzziness: I exported with
NO COMPRESSION!! in video I set it to "None".

Thanks for any help

Bill
Bill Furner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

"But in Adobe Premiere when I export the work area timeline with title added, slowness added etc., I get that DREADED electrical fuzziness"

Slowness? Did you slow down your bryce animation clip in premiere? Anything that's played at a lower speed than it was intended to in premiere tends not to be the sharpest, clearest thing. If that's the problem then I would go back into bryce and slow down my animation there, re-export, re-import in premiere and do your thing sans adjusting the speed of the clip. Hope this solves the conundrum.
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Could it be that you changed the size of the frame in Premiere when exporting? This could be the problem, but its just a guess. You would have to post a pic of what the problem looks like, as well as describe the video settings (not just the compression) you used.
Old July 31st, 2003, 07:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

replies

Josh

I was going to upload the darn thing but it is over 100 mb.

I don't think it is the frame size because I checked and tried it the same size.

To: Devon

You seem to make a good point about not changing the original speed and that might help, plus doing the slowness in Bryce sound like a good start. But what about these great online wedding video clips were the videographer slows down parts of a wedding, some seem so beautiful. They originally take the video at regular speed with their video cameras.

Thanks for the input!

Bill
Old August 1st, 2003, 05:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Bill,

I've heard somewhere around here that slowing your video by 33% and 66% are the magic ratios that somehow correlate with DV compression and make for a somewhat smoother slow-mo. You may want to try that and see if it gets any better, but I doubt it.

You make a valid point about wedding videographer slowing down their video - yielding great slow mo. However remember that it's video. They're probably shooting at 1/60th shutter speed and with the interlaced fields the slow motion comes a bit cleaner than the (i'm assuming here) progressive frames bryce produces. Like I mentioned earlier, if you want smooth video your best bet is to tweak things at the source; just like when you're shooting video - you have to shoot to edit (or 3d to edit!)

Also the resizing issue could be key. Make sure you export @ 720 x 480 with a dv aspect ration (.9 i believe). If you're using a different ratio then make sure to set the correct aspect in premiere so that the clip remains in its intended ratio. (in windows it's right click on the clip > advanced oprions > clip aspect ratio or something of the like) Otherwise it'll stretch by default to fill the DV frame and that could def. produce this fuzziness you speak of. I do this all the time when I do a 16:9 film and want to view it on a 4:3 monitor, I import my finished product uncompressed and tell it to remain in its original aspect. That way I get the black bars at the top and the bottom and SHAZAAM! Widescreen. You can post a frame grab along with all your settings and that may help us to figure this thing out. File > Export > Frame. That should only be a MB uncompressed. Hope this helps!
Old August 1st, 2003, 07:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

right on

To: Devin

When you mentioned not to slow the animation down in Premiere, that did the trick. I even compressed it and it looked ok. I even put it up on the web and it look acceptable. That electrical fuzzy stuff was gone:)

Thanks for the suggestions

Bill
Old August 1st, 2003, 07:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Cool beans. Just glad I could help Bill. BTW, do you have a link to that? I'd like to see it!
Old August 1st, 2003, 07:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

sure

It is not very long but here it is.

http://www.setile.com/now2.mov

Thanks again.

Gotta go off to work.

Bill
Old August 1st, 2003, 08:05 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Nice! Looks clear as day.
Old August 1st, 2003, 06:20 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for checking it out.
I love learning about video and encoding. It is so different than my normal work. A good way to learn to get better at this stuff is to try to utilize it in my business somehow.

Thanks again!

Bill
Bill Furner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite