compressor encoding pixilated pictures... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 27th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

compressor encoding pixilated pictures...

i have been working with FCP and compressor for close to 2 years now. I am still using version 2.0.1 of compressor.

my question/concern that i have with compressor is anytime i edit moving still images (ken burns effect) with dissolves in FCP and encode the best settings on compressor for DVD, there is much pixilation artifacts during the dissolves. it does this anytime i use FCP to make the video and compressor to encode it. i use the best setting in compressor with 7.7 bit rate with 9.0 on the high end (can never move the slider any further than that). does anyone else ever see this happen?
attached is a .wmv file of this for an example of this issue. sorry, its all i have.

thanks in advance for any possible suggestions!
Attached Files
File Type: wmv STILLS-1.wmv (1.03 MB, 123 views)
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Bitrate alone does not make for a good encode, one of the things you have to compensate for when making any encode is motion. I can't remember what settings Compressor 2 has exactly but you need to turn on "Frame Controls".

There may also be an issue with how you've rendered your final sequence and output it.

Unfortunately the list of things that could be causing this problem is long and there are multiple methods for addressing them both in your timeline and as you send out via Compressor. My suggestion is that you pick up this reference guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Trai...7173875&sr=8-1

It addresses your issues and more and is great way to fully understand the requirements of creating a good-looking encode.
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Kino-Eye

Moving camera along with a dissolve is among the hardest things for a MPEG-2 encoder to encode without artifacts, but to get the best image possible in Compressor, in the Encoder Inspector, under the Quality Tab, set:

Mode: Two Pass VBR Best
Average Bit Rate: 6.2 Mbps
Maximum Bit Rate: 7.7 Mbps
Motion Estimation: Best

I would not take the bit rate much higher, the highest bitrate that the DVD specification will allow is 8 Mbps for the MPEG-2 video, and about 1.7 Mbps for the AC-3 audio. Some DVD players barely meet the DVD specification, so never go over 8 Mbps with the video. Using a two pass setting takes a lot more processing time, but you will get much better dissolves.

Good luck!
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thank you Robert and David for your comments!
i appreciate it!
Jay Voog is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite