Safest way to reinstall FCS2 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #31
Major Player

I'm going to get a UPS. I'm guessing one for a 15 plug outlet will be expensive. All the probs I'm having are repeatable, though, even though I've reinstalled the OS and FCS2. I'm going to upgrade to Leopard, which may be the answer.
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #32
Tourist

Quick Way to Reinstall

I'm sure this may not be a luxury afforded to all of us - but if you happen to have a smaller drive around that you are trying to figure out how to best utilize, I've learned a trick lately that saves a lot of time when reinstalling FCP.

Using Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility) you can make a disk image of all the FCP disks to the hard drive (insert the disk, click "New Image," name the disk accordingly, use the Compressed setting to save space).

Once you have them imaged to that hard drive, next time you have to do a clean install of FCP, just plug in that drive, open all the disk images, and start the install. You won't have to babysit it (feeding it disk 2 then 3 and so on), it will automatically see the next disk and start that install.

Furthermore, your computer can read the hard drive more quickly than the disks, so the install will take about 30 minutes at the most.

This is no different than installing off the disks as far as what is installed and how, it just speeds up the process and frees you to do other things.

Just a handy tip. All told, when compressed, the images for FCS2 are about 55gb. Will barely fit on a 60gb HD if you have one.
Winston Hearn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite