Brainbusted! Half-D1 export from FCP 5.1?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 28th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Brainbusted! Half-D1 export from FCP 5.1??

I'm trying to author 200 minute long DVDs -- but I can't figure out how to get half-d1 output from FCP. I'm about ready to just pipe it thru s-video to a DVD recording deck...that sucker can squeeze 4 hours onto one disc...

I don't have iDvd or DVD Studio... I'm using Sizzle (budget ran out after FCP was purchased)

I *DO* have Compressor -- how can I make this happen?
Ted Bragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

D1 and DV are nearly identical; 720x534 vs 720x540. However trying to fit 200 minutes (over 3 hours?) onto a single-layer DVD would look horrible because the bitrate would be so low. You can expect highly pixleated, noisy encodes with bitrates that low - it will look like low-bandwidth internet video at that point.

I'm not familiar with Sizzle other than it's freeware (I think) but unless it can author/burn to a dual-layer disc properly (which I'd highly doubt because it can be a dicey task sometimes even in DVDSP4) which would allow for a closer to normal bitrate for the encode you're not going to end up with a decent end result no matter what.

It may not be what you wanted, but if your final project can handle 2-discs that would be the better way to go, then you'd be able to get a closer to normal bitrate for the encode.
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #3
Better than Halle Berry

Actually it's not that bad. Our EX1 training DVD clocks in at around 3 hours and we fit it all onto a DVD-5 with Compressor. Looks pretty nice actually. Of course this is coming from a very clean, well corrected HD source.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
Actually it's not that bad. Our EX1 training DVD clocks in at around 3 hours and we fit it all onto a DVD-5 with Compressor. Looks pretty nice actually. Of course this is coming from a very clean, well corrected HD source.

Noah
And therein lies three keys to a really good final encode: starting out with as much data/color information as possible out-of-camera, perfect color/finishing techniques and the Compressor tricks for output.

Ted is (unfortunately) starting out with SD content and then having to squeeze the heck out of it to fit on the same space as your DVD's. If he was using a hardware MPEG2 encoder it would look fine (or possibly even the new Omni Cinemacraft plug-in) but he's using software and an outdated version of Compressor. It's just not going to look as good as your stuff.

Last edited by Robert Lane; July 29th, 2008 at 11:04 AM.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite