DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Logos: what program? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/127009-logos-what-program.html)

Chris Westerstrom July 30th, 2008 11:35 AM

Logos: what program?

Hi,

I have a customer who wants his logo on the upper right part of the screen. He keeps sending me logos, which are oval shaped but are set in a square white background.

Does anyone here know what program and how to make the white clear so it can look better over the video footage?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Charlie Gillespie July 30th, 2008 11:39 AM

Photoshop would work

Chris Westerstrom July 30th, 2008 11:45 AM

thanks, I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have photoshop. Do you know of any mac programs that work or if any of the Final Cut Studio applications can do it?

Also, what is it called when you make a backdrop clear?

thanks

David Tamés July 30th, 2008 12:29 PM

If the client can send you the logo so the background is a unique color that does not appear in the logo itself, then you can set that color as the "transparency" color and superimpose the logo over the video, no Photoshop required.

Edward Carlson July 30th, 2008 01:01 PM

I assume the original logo doesn't have the white square. The problem probably is that he is sending it to you as a JPG file, which doesn't support transparency. PNG, GIF, and PSD do, and they can be imported directly into FCP while retaining the transparency.

Tim Dashwood July 30th, 2008 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If it is an oval shape the simplest immediate solution is to apply a "Mask Shape" (from the Matte subfolder of effects) and select "oval" in the filter settings. Then just adjust the horizontal and vertical scale to create your oval cutout. If necessary you can then soften the edge with a "Mask Feather."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Westerstrom (Post 914255)
Also, what is it called when you make a backdrop clear?

Alpha channel aka matte or mask.

Chris Westerstrom July 30th, 2008 04:03 PM

thanks for the help everyone!

The files sent to me were .tif and .pdf versions.

I went ahead and used the quick fix that Mr. Dashwood recommended for me. It worked good enough for this project but the other tips were well appreciated for future reference!

One thing I notice, however, is the scanlines on the text (impact). Is it just to de-interlace in this scenario?

Thanks

Stephen David Smith July 30th, 2008 06:19 PM

I believe .tif might have an alpha channel...aside from Tim's suggestion you could use the luma key

Don Ward July 30th, 2008 10:30 PM

"gimp" is a free program downloadable that is very similar to photoshop. I have it on my PC but haven't tried it on the Mac since I have photoshop on it already.

Works great for quickly dropping out backgrounds, resizing. It recognizes and creates photoshop files as well.

David Scattergood July 31st, 2008 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Ward (Post 914500)
"gimp" is a free program downloadable that is very similar to photoshop. I have it on my PC but haven't tried it on the Mac since I have photoshop on it already.

Works great for quickly dropping out backgrounds, resizing. It recognizes and creates photoshop files as well.

Aye - I use 'gimpshop' which I guess is Gimp with a more photoshop front end. Cracking little free program, although I really should invest in the mighty photoshop.
Give gimpshop a whirl - it works fine on the mac.

Noah Kadner July 31st, 2008 08:02 AM

totally time to invest- you cannot really do serious DVDSP authoring without photoshop.

Noah

David Knaggs July 31st, 2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Scattergood (Post 914560)
Aye - I use 'gimpshop' which I guess is Gimp with a more photoshop front end. Cracking little free program, although I really should invest in the mighty photoshop.
Give gimpshop a whirl - it works fine on the mac.

I'm just wrapping up a corporate video today where the client provided a number of images which he made using "Gimp". Very impressive. Further down the line I'd like to pick up the Adobe Creative Suite, but short-term I might check out GIMPshop. Thanks for the info, David.