Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Logos: what program?

Hi,

I have a customer who wants his logo on the upper right part of the screen. He keeps sending me logos, which are oval shaped but are set in a square white background.

Does anyone here know what program and how to make the white clear so it can look better over the video footage?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Photoshop would work
Charlie Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks, I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have photoshop. Do you know of any mac programs that work or if any of the Final Cut Studio applications can do it?

Also, what is it called when you make a backdrop clear?

thanks
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Kino-Eye

If the client can send you the logo so the background is a unique color that does not appear in the logo itself, then you can set that color as the "transparency" color and superimpose the logo over the video, no Photoshop required.
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #5
Major Player

I assume the original logo doesn't have the white square. The problem probably is that he is sending it to you as a JPG file, which doesn't support transparency. PNG, GIF, and PSD do, and they can be imported directly into FCP while retaining the transparency.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #6
Wrangler

If it is an oval shape the simplest immediate solution is to apply a "Mask Shape" (from the Matte subfolder of effects) and select "oval" in the filter settings. Then just adjust the horizontal and vertical scale to create your oval cutout. If necessary you can then soften the edge with a "Mask Feather."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Westerstrom View Post
Also, what is it called when you make a backdrop clear?
Alpha channel aka matte or mask.
Attached Images

Old July 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Major Player

thanks for the help everyone!

The files sent to me were .tif and .pdf versions.

I went ahead and used the quick fix that Mr. Dashwood recommended for me. It worked good enough for this project but the other tips were well appreciated for future reference!

One thing I notice, however, is the scanlines on the text (impact). Is it just to de-interlace in this scenario?

Thanks
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I believe .tif might have an alpha channel...aside from Tim's suggestion you could use the luma key
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #9
New Boot

"gimp" is a free program downloadable that is very similar to photoshop. I have it on my PC but haven't tried it on the Mac since I have photoshop on it already.

Works great for quickly dropping out backgrounds, resizing. It recognizes and creates photoshop files as well.
Don Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:19 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ward View Post
"gimp" is a free program downloadable that is very similar to photoshop. I have it on my PC but haven't tried it on the Mac since I have photoshop on it already.

Works great for quickly dropping out backgrounds, resizing. It recognizes and creates photoshop files as well.
Aye - I use 'gimpshop' which I guess is Gimp with a more photoshop front end. Cracking little free program, although I really should invest in the mighty photoshop.
Give gimpshop a whirl - it works fine on the mac.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:02 AM   #11
Better than Halle Berry

totally time to invest- you cannot really do serious DVDSP authoring without photoshop.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
Aye - I use 'gimpshop' which I guess is Gimp with a more photoshop front end. Cracking little free program, although I really should invest in the mighty photoshop.
Give gimpshop a whirl - it works fine on the mac.
I'm just wrapping up a corporate video today where the client provided a number of images which he made using "Gimp". Very impressive. Further down the line I'd like to pick up the Adobe Creative Suite, but short-term I might check out GIMPshop. Thanks for the info, David.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite