DVD Studio Pro-blem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 31st, 2008, 05:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Studio Pro-blem

I am attempting, so far unsuccessfully, to create my first DVD in DVD Studio Pro 4, here is my workflow.

Step 1: I have a mixed format sequence in FCP6, the majority of which is 1080p 24f footage shot on a Canon XHA1, but which also includes 1080i 60 footage from a Sony camera and some still Jpeg and Tiff images. The sequence settings are for HDV 1080p 24. The sequence works fine. It is 21 minutes running time.

Step 2: I export the above sequence as a Quick Time Movie in the Apple Pro Res 422 HQ 1080p 24 codec. The Make Movie Self Contained and Recompress All Frames boxes are both checked. The resulting file is saved to my desktop and plays fine in QT and FCP. The file is approx. 20GB.

Step 3: I open a new job in Compressor (my first time using Compressor) with the resulting QT movie. I go through the HD to SD conversion steps as outlined in the DVD Studio Pro 4 manual which is part of the Apple Pro Training Series (pages 380 to 383) (so far these are the only pages I've read of this book). I end up with two new files saved to my desktop, an MPEG2 video file and and AC3 audio file. The video file plays fine in QT but with no sound. I can't seem to open the audio file with any app. simply by double clicking it.

Step 4: I open DVD Studio Pro 4 to build my disc from the above two files. In the palette window I go to the video tab, click the plus sign and attempt to add the MPEG2 file to the project but it, and just about everything else, is grayed out and not selectable, including the AC3 audio file. I subsequently import the two assets using the File>Import>Asset. The two assets now show in the asset window but i still can't add them to the palette window. I'm officially stuck.

Where did I go wrong? Am I trying to run before I've learned to walk? I need to get this movie onto a DVD to show to a potential investor, otherwise the only place I can show it is on my desktop, not very practical.
I hope you guys can shed some light.
Thanks, Rich.
Richard Siberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Presumeably you are trying to produce a standard definition widescreen (anamorphic) NTSC DVD from your HDV footage?

I suggest you "Export:Using Compressor" directly from your finished HDV sequence, from FCP into Compressor, and use one of the preset settings: DVD MPEG-2 2-pass and Dolby Dig Prof 2.0 (AC3) audio in this case. Compressor will then do the HD to SD conversion and the MPEG-2 generation for you in one step.

Then, in DVDSP: make sure to specify everything (your disc, your tracks, your menus) are all set to "16:9 Letterbox" (a confusingly mis-named label - it's actually anamorphic, not letterboxed). You will then get an anamorphic widescreen DVD - plays full screen on a widescreen TV, and letterboxed on a 4:3 TV.
----
Edit: Just noticed all your mixed frame rates in there (60i, 24p) - not sure how that will affect the above.
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Major Player

No need for palette window

Richard,

You are doing OK just missing a step. As you discovered you do not need the palette window to import assets. You need the asset window. File>import> select assets will now show up in the asset pane. Now select both video and audio tracks and drag them onto Track 1 on the left side of the screen. Now click on Track 1 to see the timeline down below and your clips should be there and lined up. Now you should make sure that you have 16x9 checked off. Hope this helps.

Jonathan Schwartz
CA Video Productions
Jonathan Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Siberry View Post
I go through the HD to SD conversion steps as outlined in the DVD Studio Pro 4 manual which is part of the Apple Pro Training Series (pages 380 to 383) (so far these are the only pages I've read of this book).

[…]

Where did I go wrong? Am I trying to run before I've learned to walk?
Yeah, I would probably put it that way. I'm sure you are already realizing this, but you need to read more than 3 pages of a manual in order to understand how to use a program. Considering the DVDSP manual is 644 pages long (not including the Glossary and Index), you have ingested less than .5%.
Old August 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank You

Thanks for your responses guys.

Jonathan; that worked just right. Getting the audio track to link to the play button on the menu required an additional step, but it worked in the end.

Mike; I knew I was getting ahead of myself, but time and outside interests have been dictating my workflow recently. I will go through the manual in the proper order when I get a chance.

Martin; the different frame rates etc didn't seem to have any effect on the final output. I was expecting to encounter obstacles, everyone said I would, but in the end outputting the FCP sequence as Pro Res 422 in QT seems to have negated those issues.

What I have now is simply a rough cut trailer for a long documentary project still in production. It is not graded, mediocre sound, no FX etc. but it's on a nice portable DVD which is just what I need for now.

Thanks again, Rich.
Richard Siberry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite