Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 1st, 2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Trustee

calibrating Sony Master Monitor with FCP output

Hello,

I just got an used BVM-D24E1WJ, Sony's tube master monitor, and if anyone has its operation manual, if you can help me I'd appreciated. I did purchase the manual online thinking it'll be PDF download, but it seems to take several days (I don't understand why).

In SD with SDI connection, with FCP's colorbar generation on timeline ouput via Matrox MXO or MOTU V3HD, I could auto calibrate the monitor. But in HD with component connection, the 1080i colorbar pattern from FCP would lead to RED IRE 100 failing to calibrate.

I assume that monitor doesn't take the HD colorbar pattern from FCP, the patterns it takes in HD are Full field white 100% (8 color bar 100% and 7 color bar 100%) and HDW color bar which I assume only a Sony thing. I tried other colorbar patterns I could find on the wen but one worked better but fails in another stage.

Does anyone know how or which colorbar works with this monitor?

Thanks in advance.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Major Player

I have a similar monitor at the office I work at and I was unable to get the auto calibrate of the gamma to work for some time until I turned off some user settings. I can't remember for the life of me what exactly it was now but there might be a setting blocking it from completing it's job.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:31 AM   #3
Trustee

James,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was afraid if any basic function is broken (like certain beam being weak or something), but since SD calibration work, I started wondering if the color bar itself is adequate or not.

Based on your information I will look into the settings to find out what works.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:28 AM   #4
Trustee

James,

I was working on it today and I was switching between various video output hardware, then made some differences between them. With MOTU V3HD outputting 100% full field colorbar, I was able to auto calibrate my monitor.

Since I couldn't find any particular solution on the net, I would leave some findings from my experiences here.

In order to use Sony video monitors' auto calibration feature with FCP's colorbar, use detailed color bar (I have to double check how it is exactly called, I'm translating the name from the Japanese version) in the video generator tab and color bar and tone folder.

Place that on a timeline, then double click it, then you can choose either 100% or 75% digital color bars that are in the forms of full filed color bars.

Choose appropriate one (100% or 75%) to match with the auto calibration choice on the Sony monitor.

I'm glad my monitor didn't need the service.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite