Adobe Encore and Leopard, why wont it work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Adobe Encore and Leopard, why wont it work?

I have been using Final Cut Studio since, well since Final Cut Pro 3.

But since I am making the move to Blu Ray I need Adobe Encore to author and burn Blu Ray.

I got my hands on the Adobe Master Suite which included Encore.

I now find myself wondering why... Encore wont start.

I get the splash screen, then it hangs. I even let it sit for 2 hours hoping it might start eventually.

Has anyone figured out how to get Encore to work with Leopard?

Here are my specs.

8 Core Mac Pro (Early 2008)
4Gb memory (proper 800 Mhz kind)
OSX leopard fully updated.
Encore fully updated via software updates.
All software is up to date.

After Effects opens, PhotoShop opens, Flash Opens, but not Encore.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

there is a 3.0.2 update that supposedly fixes that.
Dick Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Campbell View Post
there is a 3.0.2 update that supposedly fixes that.
The Key Word in your friendly comment, is Supposedly... Which mean no, Adobe's wonder line of products are again living up to their name.

Encore wont work, even with "The Patch" for Leopard.
I cant put Tiger on an early 08 Mac pro.
Apple is to damn slow and to damn stupid to release a Blu Ray option for DVD SP.
Toast is to weak for burning Client based Blu Ray

Any other options for Burning Blu Ray for paying clients?.
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

The entire CS3 suite works fine here; I'd suggest doing some system maintenance, sounds like you may have some directory issues. See my posts about DiskWarrior and Onyx.
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Well Robert, let me tell you how I got Encore working.

Wipe and re-install of the computer...everything.

Leopard was acting like an ADD redhead 8 year old, FCS was well, bothering me and Since Encore pushed my last button, I nuked and re-paved.

It works now. I did ZERO updates via software update, updated the Adobe Master collection, repaired permissions, rebooted, tried to start encore, but when it hung I got mad and opened all Adobe apps...... Encore opened.

I have been a Final Cut Pro/DVD Studio pro guy for years, many years. I was on Encore for 30 minutes and can say i am impressed, I have a flash based DVD menu encoding right now, software is a little different in handling things, but so far I am very impressed... Why cant Apple get with the show and come up with something better than a now defunked HD DVD format on DVD 5's????

Point is, it works, i wont be updating anything to ensure Encore runs fine, and I might even switch over to Premiere Pro.
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #6
Wrangler

I'm interested in Encore but I'd like to test it out before buying the whole package (unfortunately with Premiere which I have no interest in.)
I downloaded the Premiere CS3 trial but Encore isn't included. Does anyone know where the Encore Trial is located on the Adobe site?
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
I'm interested in Encore but I'd like to test it out before buying the whole package (unfortunately with Premiere which I have no interest in.)
I downloaded the Premiere CS3 trial but Encore isn't included. Does anyone know where the Encore Trial is located on the Adobe site?
Well, i'll tell you what Tim. I have had Encore working for less than 24 hours, played around with it a little bit and I am fully impressed. I can build a DVD and choose at the last minute if I want Blu Ray, Flash or SD, or all 3. With DVD SP we all know that it is either an HD DVD built on a DVD5 disc using only properly encoded HD material, cant mix SD and HD menu items, cant import WMV, AVI, etc into it, and most importantly, we have no idea when Apple will enter the Blu Ray race.

It was worth it just for those few reasons. And working with it is alot like DVD SP, just need to learn the different buttons.
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Does anyone know where the Encore Trial is located on the Adobe site?
Hi Tim.

Try http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/systemreqs.html

There is a "Download free trial" bar on that page.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #9
Go Go Godzilla

Hi Jim,

Apple as always keeps things not just "close to the chest" but totally locked down. Nobody will know exactly what and when their BR offerings will be until it's formally announced to the public. And trust me, myself and thousands of other FCS users share your pain with Apple's less than up-to-date DVDSP. In fact it was highly expected that by NAB 2007 we'd see a major update to DVDSP - but that didn't even occur THIS year! Don't get me started. (laughs)

Truth is, even though BR won the "war" it's still not in the cost-effective-enough category to be considered a major-market media player just yet. Players are still several hundreds of dollars (with the PS3 being the most-sold BR player on the market today) and media costs are still extremely high when compared to DVD.

Collectively between several companies, billions were spent on HD-DVD development and deployment so these same companies - of which Apple was one - have been licking their wounds and re-tooling to fully take advantage of the new preferred optical format. That takes time for both the hardware and software environment to be setup and get up-to-speed for any type of worldwide deployment. And let's not forget the teething issues that will ensue to the first-adopters of whatever Apple does offer.

Having said that, Steve Jobs has obviously been distracted by the overwhelming success of the iPhone; it's been reported in several web-magazines that Apple has more than once pulled developers off other programs such as the Final Cut suite, Aperture and other pro-level apps to work on iPhone and it's sub-systems, so that has added to the delay in Apple responding to the clamor for BR support.

It's pure speculation when Apple will release a DVDSP 5; personally I think it will be when FCS3 is announced which according to life-cycle history wouldn't be for at least what.... another year or so? But then too Apple did create FCP 4.5 HD a mid-life update to keep pace with the industry, so it's conceivable that DVDSP might also get a mid-life update to incorporate BR. Fact is, nobody except Apple insiders know for certain - anything else is pure guesswork.

With regard to Encore we've had mixed results; Encore itself is an over-simplified app when compared to DVDSP4 as many of the advanced features that we use for commercial-release DVD's are not available. And BR authoring is even more simplified, not even coming close to the full BR spec of options. Not to mention that the encoding engine used by Adobe is not nearly as good as Compressor - yet. In fact we always encode in Compressor (or Episode Pro) then import into Encore.

Until DVDSP 5 is released nobody on a Mac can fully take advantage of the full BR spec, period (there are several posts on this issue - use the search feautre). Only Scenarist and Blu-Print can - and for a King's ransom and only on a PC. Still.

If Sony really wanted to take control of the BR market for editors they should port-over a Mac-compatible version of Blu-Print. Then it would be game-over for anything else - until DVDSP 5 arrives.
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knaggs View Post
Hi Tim.

Try http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/systemreqs.html

There is a "Download free trial" bar on that page.
Thanks David. Unfortunately only the Windows trial is available for download. When I do a similar trial download on the CS3 version it will only let me download the Premiere trial (which I've already done twice) and Encore is most definitely not included in the trial.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite