DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   More areas for Apple to play catch-up (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/128687-more-areas-apple-play-catch-up.html)

Robert Lane August 25th, 2008 12:23 PM

More areas for Apple to play catch-up

We've all been waving our collective arms at Apple asking them to catch-up with the PC market and bring things like Blu-Ray to the Apple platforms. Here's just another example of where Apple needs to play "catch-up" with PC offerings.

NOTE: This is not a thread to start another ridiculous "Mac vs. PC" war, simply to outline that in several areas PC manufacturers are really going after serious creative people with very attractive hardware offerings. If only Apple would create a MacBook Pro with hardware options like this one:

Lenovo ThinkPad W700 for photographers: Digital Photography Review

Michael Wisniewski August 25th, 2008 01:01 PM

Wow, that's one really cool laptop for editing video.

Kevin Shaw August 26th, 2008 05:12 AM

The built-in graphics tablet looks interesting, but after my first big laptop I've decided I prefer smaller ones with a 15" screen for portability.

This does show that there are some advantages to the flexibility of the PC platform, but if you like Apple's software that's a moot point (and vice-versa). Other than cost there's nothing to stop you from using both...

Andy Mees August 26th, 2008 05:57 AM

butt ugly but a lot to love ... should appeal to the mobile desktop crowd

Robert Lane August 26th, 2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw (Post 924977)
... but if you like Apple's software that's a moot point...

Can you imagine how wonderfully FCP/AE/Compressor would run on a MacBookPro configured with 1GB of VRAM, 2 internals separating apps from media etc. etc., not to mention a truly color-correct screen...

Hint, hint, Apple.

Christopher Drews August 27th, 2008 12:28 AM

I'd just be happy if they went with an eSATA port right next to the firewire 800. Oh and an HDMI output right next to the DVI (now that is wishful thinking). Also the option to get your optical external and use the space to put another HD in there, running RAID0.

Jim Fields August 28th, 2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Drews (Post 925431)
I'd just be happy if they went with an eSATA port right next to the firewire 800. Oh and an HDMI output right next to the DVI (now that is wishful thinking). Also the option to get your optical external and use the space to put another HD in there, running RAID0.

Well, you might want to look into this right now for the 2 drives and external burner.

MCE OptiBay Hard Drive for MacBook Pro, MacBook and PowerBook G4

Christopher Drews August 28th, 2008 08:51 PM

Interesting but...

Yikes - This connects via the ATA bus not an eSATA port. While it looks enticing at first, I doubt giving up your optical drive will increase your speed in RAID 0. Does anyone have one of these working in a RAID 0 configuration?
-C

Noah Kadner August 28th, 2008 11:09 PM

Most graphics tablet-loving folks I know would balk at one that tiny....