DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 15th, 2002, 10:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Various questions FCP2

I see Final cut Pro 3 allows you to record narration directly to the timeline. I am a novice user and I will have to stick to FCP2 for a while yet due to finances. Does any one have advice on a practical way to put narration and music over my projects?
Old March 16th, 2002, 01:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If you must narrate in real time, just get a shareware sound recorder. Record your project onto a junk VHS tape. Play it back and record your dialog into the sound recorder while watching the VHS tape. Save your dialog as an AIFF or WAV file and import it and place it into the timeline.

You can do the same thing with music if you are scoring it to the action.

Personally, I like to record each "quip" as a separate file. That way if I screw it up I only have to re-record that one line or paragraph. Plus I can move it back and forth along the timeline with ease.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2002, 02:05 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

One of the problems I've experienced in the past with recording either directly into a computer mic or even with a MiniDV recorder is background equipment noise and that "hollow" tin-cannish sound. I never found a suitable way to block out the sound of the computer hum when recording directly into the computer mic. So, I've opted to record with my MiniDV recorder and a high quality mic with all other noise makers in the vicinity turned off.

To get rid of the MiniDV noise, and outside noises, I usually wind up making a blanket tent in my living room and covering the MiniDV unit with a pillow. Must look pretty ridiculous to anyone who walks in, but it does help with the sound quality. If I need to see the footage as I narrate, I just pop a tape in the VCR and make a peep hole through the tent.

Anyone else know of more practical ways to improve the sound quality (on a budget) without having to go to these extremes?
Old August 13th, 2002, 05:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Os 9,fcp2, Osx, Fcp2-3, Osx2.0 ????????

Hello,
I've got a few questions.
1.) since FCP 2 was an OS 9 program, does it work with OS X 1.5 if I re-install it in osx.
2.) If I get the FCP upgrade to 3, will it take it out of 9 or what?

3.) If I get OS X 2.0 will FCP2 work on it if I load it.

I don't know whether to just sit and wait or go for it.
Any knowledge of how to do it correctly would help.

P.S. i took FCP2 off my system so I'll be starting from scratch.

Bruce
As Elvis would say "I'm all shuke up"
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 06:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: Os 9,fcp2, Osx, Fcp2-3, Osx2.0 ????????

<<<-- Originally posted by B. Moore : Hello,
I've got a few questions.
1.) since FCP 2 was an OS 9 program, does it work with OS X 1.5 if I re-install it in osx.
2.) If I get the FCP upgrade to 3, will it take it out of 9 or what?
3.) If I get OS X 2.0 will FCP2 work on it if I load it.
I don't know whether to just sit and wait or go for it.
Any knowledge of how to do it correctly would help.
P.S. i took FCP2 off my system so I'll be starting from scratch.-->>>

The need for you to sit and wait or go for it depends upon your present workflow. Are you in need to edit now?

I would personally recommend to upgrade to FCP 3 on OS 10.1.5 with QuickTime 5 and wait until FCP 3 is blessed by Apple to run in Jaguar with QuickTIme 6.

To answer your questions:
1.) The best approach is to boot off of OS 9.2.2 and install FCP 2, then reboot off of OS 10.1.5 and let Classic do its' thing when you click on FCP 2. FCP 2 runs only under OS 9.2.2 or under Classic in OS X. It is not a native OS X app like FCP 3 is.
2.) If you upgrade to FCP 3, install the OS X version in OS 10.1.5. It will not take it out of OS 9.2.2 unless you had installed the OS 9 version.
3.) DO NOT INSTALL Jaguar or QuickTime 6 until Apple announces that FCP 3+ will run in it.

My advice to you is to upgrade to FCP 3 and install the OS X version. If you need more guidance than this, let me know.

Best of luck!
Old August 13th, 2002, 10:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Ok Dan
If I get the FCP3 upgrade for FCP2, Do I install the #2 and #3(upgrade ) together on OSx 1.5.

don't forget I don't have #2 on the computer at all.

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 10:30 PM   #7
Major Player

i would advise against running FCP 2 in classic mode and just run it straight in OS 9.2.2 . since you have 2 you should be able to buy the FCP 3 upgrade and install and run in OSX. which i have yet to do myself!
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2002, 11:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Couple of things...

<<<-- Originally posted by B. Moore : Ok Dan
If I get the FCP3 upgrade for FCP2, Do I install the #2 and #3(upgrade ) together on OSx 1.5.
don't forget I don't have #2 on the computer at all.
Bruce -->>>

First things first:
- Make the decision to upgrade to Jaguar.
- Make sure you have upgraded your OS 9 system folder to OS 9.2.2.
- DO NOT upgrade to QT 6 in OS 9 at this time.
- Upgrade from OS 10.1.5 to OS 10.2 Jaguar

If you get the FCP 3 upgrade, then:
- Boot off of your OS 9 system folder. You should upgrade it to v9.2.2 if you have not yet already done so.
- Install FCP 2 while booted off of OS 9.2.2
- Restart into OS 9.2.2
- Install the FCP 3 upgrade (OS 9 version)
- Restart and boot into OS X
- Choose to install the OS x version of the FCP 3 upgrade.
- If the FCP 3 upgrade is not version 3.0.2, then download the installer upgrade off of the Apple FCP website.

A question I have for you right now is have you partitioned your hard drive? I have in the past but I chose not to with my present setup (dual 1gig, Jaguar, FCP 3.0.2, QuickTime 6.1).

Let me know how it goes.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 02:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Trouble outputing from FCP2

Dear all,

I have recently finished cutting my DV feature on FCP, check out the website...

www.chancepictures.com

I have a bit of a problem, hope someone has the answers... I am running a JVC HR-DVS3U DV/VHS deck off final cut pro 2 and cannot seem to output to tape or use the print to video option.

I havce tried recording off of the canvas, the deck could not get any signals. It is very strange since I digitised about 30 tapes through the same deck.

has anyone had the same problem before?

thanks for the help...

Daniel
Daniel Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:17 AM   #10
Warden

Are you sure the FireWire cable is good? You've used it before? Check all your settings on the deck to make sure it is looking for the signal on the fireWire input. Many of these decks default to the analog inputs.

I usually don't use print to tape. I just hit record from the deck and play the program from the timeline.

You might want to check your FCP preferences and check how you have the playback set.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 12:30 PM   #11
New Boot

Getting an "Error: File Too Big" message in FCP2

Greetings,all. I'm new to this forum. Glad to be here!

I'm running Final Cut Pro 2 on a Dual 867 Ghz G4 tower with an external 80 Gig 7200rpm FireWire drive as my DV storage. I primarily use FCP to create short sequences - usually 3 to 4 minutes total length - which I then output as Final Cut Pro Movies and import into iDVD2 for DVD creation. I have never had a problem exporting FCP Movies until now.

A recent 9 minute sequence was put together and exported to the FireWire drive as an FCP Movie. However, upon reaching 95% completion all encoding stopped and I received the message "Error: File Is Too Big". I've tried everything including trashing preferences, unchecking the file size limit box , creating the DV movie in QuickTime and outputting to a different, larger FireWire drive (none of the drives are formatted) but nothing's changed.

I'm hoping someone here can help me out because I'm clueless at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Jay Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 03:00 PM   #12

OS9 has a 2GB file size limit. That's the only thing I can think of.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 09:07 PM   #13
Warden

I agree, 9 minutes would be about 2 gigs.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 11:26 AM   #14
New Boot

I'm confused. Where exactly does it state that OS9 has this limit? Can't seem to find it in the manual. Does the same hold true for FCP3 on OS9?
Jay Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 06:26 PM   #15
Warden

It was a system limitation, as far as I recall. I've been on OS X for well over 2 years now. Are your drives HFS+ formatted? OS 9.x.x might break the 2gig limit with HFS+ formatting. Caution reformatting a drive will erase all your files. Back up all files before reformatting. Anyone else remember?

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite