DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Video out from macbook pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/129408-video-out-macbook-pro.html)

Jim Watt September 5th, 2008 12:10 PM

Video out from macbook pro

I have an older Macbook pro 2.6 ghx core 2 duo, and I want to do some editing on the road and would like to get a video signal out to my Panasonic HD monitor. What's the solution for this without spending a ton of money. Is there one?

I'm ingesting from s x s cards from my XDCAM EX and I've already digitized a bunch of DVCPROHD material from my varicam.

thx...jw

Edward Carlson September 5th, 2008 01:48 PM

Firewire out to camera, camera to monitor. Easy, and it uses your existing camera.

Jason Livingston September 5th, 2008 10:52 PM

Firewire output works for standard def DV realtime playback from the timeline, but not for high definition. You can output HDV via firewire using the print to tape command, but this requires that the whole project be rendered and conformed so that the data meets the HDV spec (current processors are far too slow to do this in realtime). It's a nice way to display your project for final output or to back it up to a miniDV tape, but it isn't very useful during the editing process (especially if your footage isn't HDV).

Most HD monitors these days have either a HDMI, DVI, or VGA (RGB) input. All 3 can be output from your MBP's DVI output using the appropriate cable or adapters. You can then use the monitor either as a regular 2nd monitor (extended desktop), or in FCP you can turn on digital cinema preview and have your canvas appear full screen on the 2nd display.

Christopher Drews September 5th, 2008 11:39 PM

Honestly, the Matrox MXO (not to be confused with MXO2) is the best solution for the money. It gives you composite, component, SDI output with embedded audio. It also downconverts or upconverts on the fly. It also allows you to take this box into any post facility anywhere and create a HD-CAM master from your laptop (via HD-SDI). Pretty awesome. In your case, it will give you an HD-SDI tap for your HD Panasonic monitor - if you have a varicam you should be able to leverage this box.

The other solutions are cheaper yet your colors cannot be trusted if you convert the mac DVI-D to HDMI. The firewire route seems cheesy - I've done this in a bind but it isn't color accurate and I highly doubt you can calibrate this output. Plus you'd be limited to firewire's bandwidth - forget about monitoring uncompressed.

Anyway, hope this helps.
-C

Boyd Ostroff September 6th, 2008 11:53 AM

I agree the MXO is a great solution. I just ordered one myself in fact, and am really looking forward to using it next week, although I'll be connecting it to an Apple 23" Cinema Display. Currently available for $950 at B&H Photo.