Mac Laptop Selection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Mac Laptop Selection

I apologize for asking a question I know has been asked here about 10k times but I'm up against a discount deadline and need to make a decision quickly.

For editing in FCP, are there any significant issues with using a MacBook, as opposed to one of the MacBook Pro models?

I've edited and a Macbook at a workshop and it seemed to work fine but that was a short experience so I'd like opinions from those who use the laptops regularly. I have a Mac Pro tower at home for "heavy lifting" projects, so the laptop would be for mobile use (maybe do some editing on the train) and for grad school. Some specific questions:

Any noticable speed/performance improvement between the regular and pro model?
Is the 15 inch screen of the Pro noticeably better?
Any reason to have the better video card in the top of the line MacBook Pro model

My guess (and I'm willing to be wrong) is that there is not a significant difference other than the screen between the two levels of laptops and I don't think I need to pay a grand more for the top of the line model unless performance is dramatically better.

Thanks
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Last I read the graphics support in the MacBook was not sufficient for using Motion but was OK for FCP. Make sure you get the largest hard drive they sell, space runs short quickly.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks. Just the sort of thing I would have overlooked and that would have stunk since I use Motion.

Can anyone confirm that Motion won't work on Macbook?
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
Can anyone confirm that Motion won't work on Macbook?
Confirmed. Check the Apple page for minimum system settings. You'll find the same answer.

FCP will run on a MacBook - Motion needs the MacBook Pro.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite